2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 6:20 PM by historicalshavlikemployee

Waiting for Agent to Register...

Master
      I am currently running NetChk Protect 7.8. My attempts to push an agent out from the console to our domain devices has gone fairly well, but I am getting more and more failures with the same response:

The install will start, from the console, and get to the 67% 'Waiting for Agent to register' step. Eventually, it will time out and fail, stating 'Registration Failed'

I have also tried to do the install manually from the workstations themselves, to no avail. Communication to the console seems to work fine, as I can get to the step where I pick my Agent Policy but it ends shortly after, stating "Install ended prematurely due to error" and that is all.

It isn't a global FireWall port issue, as most of the installs work just fine, just random workstations do not. The Windows FireWall is not used internally either, so it isn't active. I have attached a log file from the attempted manual install.

Any ideas?
        • 2. Re: Waiting for Agent to Register...
          Master

Based upon the description, as well as the following error line, it appears that there may be an issue with the machine key:

RegisterWithoutCookie:  Error 0x8009000d: class STWin32::CWin32Exception at X509Certificate.cpp:194: Error 2148073485: Key does not exist.

Was there an attempt to install the agent using insufficient credentials prior to this?

You can try the following:

1)Navigate to the following directory (depending upon operating system):

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftCryptoRSAMachineKeys

C:ProgramDataMicrosoftCryptoRSAMachineKeys

2) Open the first file in the list (using a basic text editor such as Notepad), and look for the clear text 'agent'. If you do not see the word 'agent' in clear text, move to the next file in the list.

3) Once you have identified the file containing the clear text 'agent' (this is the machine key for the agent software), delete said file.

4) Retry the agent installation.