3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 9:04 PM by historicalshavlikcustomer

How to clean up after a failed scheduled deployment?

Master

I scheduled 62 patches to be applied immediately to a WinXP workstation.  Everything appeared to be running properly, but when I logged back in to check on it, the Deployment Tracker still shows Scheduled (62).  A stscheduleview status on the pc showed no jobs found.  If I go into the C:windowspropatchesinstall directory there are 199 items, all .cfg, .his, and .xml files.  There is no .bat file.  If I look at the Scheduled Task Manager, it shows the scheduled deployment – immediate at the time that I had scheduled it.  The scheduler.log shows a lot of DecryptMessage failed errors, along with some other stuff that appears benign (I’m still very new to this product, so I’m not well-versed in what I’m looking at and may be missing something pertinent.)

What is the proper way for me to clean this up so that I can try the deployment again?  Can I just delete all the files under c:windowsproptachesinstall?  What will remove the scheduled items from the Deployment Tracker and the Scheduled Task Manager?  I am running VMware vCenter Protect Essentials Plus 8.0.0 Build: 3756.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

• 1. Re: How to clean up after a failed scheduled deployment?
          Master
          Update:  There WAS a .bat file, but running it did nothing.  I then tried re-deploying the patches and I now have 124 Scheduled.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          • 2. Re: How to clean up after a failed scheduled deployment?
            Master

By default, deployments are scheduled with the target machine's scheduler service via TCP5120. Once the job has been scheduled, the target machine will process the deployment, and will periodically send updates to the console machine via TCP3121. The initial description seems to suggest that the deployment job completed, but that the status messages were not received. In a case such as this, the best approach would be to perform another scan of the target machine to determine the current patch state.

Scheduled deployments include a batch file, which will have a '.bat' extension. Once the job has completed, this file should be renamed such that the extension changes to '.his'. If this does not occur, it may be that either once of the patches did not complete successfully and did not return proper control back to the batch process, or it could be indicatvive of an issue with the scheduler service itself. Try re-building the scheduler service on the target machine as follows:

1) From a command prompt, browse to the 'c:windowspropatchesscheduler' directory.

2) Execute the following command:

'stschedex /remove'

3) Delete the 'c:windowspropatches' directory.

4) Delete the following registry key(s):

32 bit - 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREShavlikScheduler'
            64 bit - 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeShavlikScheduler'

5) Validate the 'Shavlik Remote Scheduler Service' isn't listed as a service.

From the console, perform a patch scan of the target machine using the default 'Security Patch Scan' template. Once the scan has completed, select a single missing patch (preferably an operating system related patch), and deploy the selected patch using the default 'Standard' deployment template (please keep in mind that this template includes a post-deployment reboot). Upon deployment to the target machine, the scheduler service should be re-installed.

If the deployment still fails, please contact support directly so that we might obtain further log data for analysis.

• 3. Re: How to clean up after a failed scheduled deployment?
              Master
              Thank you very much.  This information was very helpful!