6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 4:57 PM by historicalshavlikemployee

Need additional December patches

Master
      Thanks to the VMWare team for getting the Microsoft Security patches out in an XML the same day that Microsoft released them.  There are a lot of patches this month and I know it was a lot of work.

XML data version = 2.0.0.1242 was just released.

There are still some more patches that I need in the XML before this weekend for our scheduled deployment time.  These appear to not be in the XML file that was just released:

- JAVA6-30   (QJAVA6U30)  Sun Java RE 6.0u30
                   Note: -s installer does not have toolbar
      - MSWU-___   (KB2553323) Outlook 2010 update: November 8, 2011
      - MSWU-___   (KB2639880) Office 2007 Cumulative Update for December 2011
      - MSWU-___   (KB2639884) Office 2010 Cumulative Update for December 2011
      - MSWU-___   (KB2596596) Excel 2007 update: December 13, 2011 (fix for MS11-072 bug)

Also, Adobe announced that an update to Adobe Reader will be available, but as of yet, it is not available in their FTP site.  If Adobe releases an update to Adobe Reader 9 or 10, we will need that update before this weekend.
        • 1. Re: Need additional December patches
          Master

Hi,

- MSWU-___   (KB2553323) Outlook 2010 update: November 8, 2011 is already in Protect's data.

I've asked the data team for more information on if/when the other patches will be released. I'll update you when I find out. Thanks!

• 2. Re: Need additional December patches
            Master
            XML data version = 2.0.0.1242 can be downloaded from where?
            • 3. Re: Need additional December patches
              Master
              Here is the information I've gotten back from our data team concerning the other patches mentioned:

These will be added and should be expected to be released with next Tuesday's (12/2011) XML release.

As for Adobe: we are at a hurry-up-and-wait stand point; we will be adding the data as soon as it's made public and it will be released on schedule with the next chronological XML release, depending upon the vendor's release.
              • 4. Re: Need additional December patches
                Master
                Also, just got this update: APSB11-30 is public. This will be included with Tuesday's XML release.
                • 5. Re: Need additional December patches
                  Master

I verified that MSWU-431 (KB982726) Outlook 2010 Junk Email Filter update: December 13, 2011 is in XML 2.0.0.1242 and is being detected as missing.

@IT Admin, NetChk Protect (vCenter Protect Essentials) automatically downloads the latest XML data when you run a scan unless you are working in offline mode (or have otherwise disabled it).

Adobe just now (Friday 2:04 PM PT) released the patch for Adobe Reader 9.4.7.  I realize that it is too late to get it in the XML data before our scheduled deployment this weekend.  Because this patch is for a vulnerability that is being actively exploited, my SLA does not allow me to wait until next Tuesday night to deploy it (and do yet another deployment this month).  I will have to deploy it as a custom patch during our scheduled deployment this weekend, which makes more work for me.

The one that really hurts is Java.  It was released on December 13.  Why is the patch for Java RE 6u30 still not in the XML data?  Looks like I am going to have to do yet another custom patch to be able to deploy it this weekend.

I will have to delay the deployment of the Microsoft non-security patches until our next scheduled deployment in January.  There are more non-security patches that Microsoft released and are not in the XML data, including:

- (KB2596651) 2007 Office system update: December 13, 2011

- (KB2596789) Excel 2007 update: December 13, 2011

- (KB2633952) December 2011 cumulative time zone update for Windows

• 6. Re: Need additional December patches
                    Master
                    Just wanted to give an update that I got from our data team on a few of these patches:

KB2639880 and KB2639884 aren't available for download on the MS download center which means we can not support them; KB2596596 is set to be released today as MSWU-576.