12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 7:36 PM by historicalshavlikemployee

Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source

Master

My agents are not finding the correct update files to download. I see that my policy.zip is now in a folder called OLD.

Please advise...

Thank-you,
      Robin

• 1. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
          Master

What is the configured 'Engine and data download location' within the agent policy? If you have selected a distribution server, you will want to confirm that the necessary files exist on the distribution server share, and that the agents have the necessary permissions to access the distribution server. If you have selected to use the distribution server by agent IP, ensure that the agent machine's IP address correctly falls within a defined range (configured via the 'IP Ranges' tab within the 'Distribution Servers' utility).

If you have a proxy server, you will also need to ensure that this is properly configured on the agent machine (both within the Internet Options, and winhttp). You will also want to ensure that you have specified the correct credentials for the proxy server within the agent policy.

• 2. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
            Master
            Hi Shavlik,

I have checked the network side and there has not been any proxy changes. There has been no changes on the IP address side or the Agent configuration. On the server side, the only place that proxy.zip is located is in Shavlik_ServerUsersAll UsersShavlik TechnologiesAgent DataOLD. Should there be another copy located somewhere on hte server that the agents are supposed to download from? I have checked all the UNC distribution servers and all are accessable using the Domain ID. I have attempted to copy the files from the c:WINNTPro Patches folder to another machine and tested, not working. I should point out this is only when I am attempting to re-install or install on a workstation pc.

I do have a VMware updater 8.0 box on the network.

Thank-you,
            Robin

• 3. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
              Master
              User Image

Not sure if this is related to the machines not allowing Agent client updates... license expires on 1/24/2012.
              • 4. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                Master
                Does the agent successfully check-in to the console machine (you can initiate this from the agent GUI)? Does the console reflect the correct maintenance timeout ('Maintenance and Data Subscription' date identified within the 'Help>About Shavlik NetChk Protect' menu)?
                • 5. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                  Master

Yes the date is correct on the help about. 915 out of 960 licenses used. On the client side, there is only 2 choices Overview and System. I have also attempted to push the policy using the Agent administrator, which fails to respond. I have attempt to remove all traces of Shavlik and re-install Agent client same issue. The Agent is showing it Checked in at 10 am this morning. If I force a check in it fails cannot contact the client. I had an issue a while ago that not all the menu's were showing up on the main application, that was due to not registering the application. I can probably hold off and keep installing updates blindly until version 8 comes out.

Thanks,
                  Robin

User Image

• 6. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                    Master

Did the NetChk Protect console change (i.e. installed on a new machine, name was changed, FQDN changed, etc.)? Were the agents ever working?

Test a machine by completely removing and rebuilding the agent, as outlined below:

1) Uninstall the agent software via Windows (i.e. Add/Remove Programs).

2) Ensure that there are no 'ST*' processes in memory (e.g. via task manager). If there are, please end them.

3) Verify that there are not 'Shavlik*' services listed (the exception is the 'Shavlik Remote Scheduler' service).

4) Delete the following directories (depending upon operating system):

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataShavlik Technologies

C:ProgramDataShavlik Technologies

C:Program FilesShavlik Technologies

C:Program Files (x86)Shavlik Technologies

5)Navigate to the following directory (depending upon operating system):

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftCryptoRSAMachineKeys

C:ProgramDataMicrosoftCryptoRSAMachineKeys

6) Open the first file in the list (using a basic text editor such as Notepad), and look for the clear text 'agent'. If you do not see the word 'agent' in clear text, move to the next file in the list.

7) Once you have identified the file containing the clear text 'agent' (this is the machine key for the agent software), delete said file.

8) Create a new agent policy, and ensure that verbose logging is enabled within the policy.

9) Install the agent software using the newly created policy.

If you still have failures with the test machine, contact support directly so that we can collect some log files.

• 7. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                      Master
                      I have perform the requested steps. Could not find the file in step 6.

Things I have noticed:
                      1) When I re-installed the Agent client, it did not install the asset or patch installer component.
                      2) I am Beta'ing Version 8 and noticed 1 machine not affected by the client issue is showing the Agent version 8 splash screen pop-up on startup. This machine is not part of the beta program. I am tempted to remove the Beta 8 server and see if that resolves the issue.

The Agent installer is from April 28, 2011. Would there be a possible update to this version?

Thank-you,
                      Robin

• 8. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                        Master
                        The agent is not finding the download source. The initial question was what is the configured 'Engine and data download location' within the agent policy? If you are using a distribution server by IP address, and the agent's IP address is not within a defined range, the agent will not be able to access the necessary files (including the rest of the agent installation '.msi' files). If the agent is configured to use vendor, and cannot access the internet (e.g. if it is not correctly configured for proxy access in the case that you use a proxy server), it will fail. Everything is indicating that the agent is not able to obtain files from the configured source.

If you are still unable to identify and correct the issue, please contact support directly so that we can obtain some log files and provide you with a more definitive solution.
                        • 9. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                          Master
                          Hello Shavlik,

Found that every machine located on the same switch as my lab that was my Beta 8 test version were automatically updated to version 8 agent client. Once updated the server to version 8. All the agent clients would respond to the new server.

Shavlik, Thanks for all your help.
                          Robin
                          • 10. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                            Master
                            Having the same problem with one machine.  The policy installs fine everywhere else, just this one machine.  Tried recommendations above fro a manual uninstall but to no avail.  Did you ever figure this one out?
                            • 11. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                              Master
                              Have the exact same thing, but in this case is installed on a fresh VM with a fresh client VM for the agent.  Before each install I snapshot the system so I can roll it back afterwards and this is the results.

#1 With v8 I get the error as mentioned above, same systems with v7.8 works perfect
                              #2 With v8 the install of the CM module has all kinds of errors abount the native client, which is already installed and can't find database. Have to ignore the error and then manually create the new database for it to install.

So the #1 shows that all the network and etc also mentioned above are not the issue and works fine with 7.8 just not 8.0

Dale

• 12. Re: Agents reporting - update failed: attempt to download from no source
                                Master
                                If you are still unable to identify and correct the issue, please contact support directly so that we can obtain some log files and provide you with a more definitive solution.