4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 9:58 PM by historicalshavlikcustomer

I am receiving a remote registry error when scanning one computer.

Master

I am adding one computer to a scan and receive the following error when testing the connection.  It also errors when doing a scan of the one computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The following machines failed in testing procedure:

Machine: 10.x.x.x, Reason: Could not read the remote registry: Error 53: The network path was not found.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a fresh install of Shavlik NetChk Protect v7.8.1392
      The trial key has been applied (first day of use) and the server has been rebooted.

Server running NetChk:  Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (all patches)
      Workstation being scanned:  Windows 7 64-bit Professional SP1

I have verified I can access all administrative and hidden shares (C$, ADMIN$) from the server to the workstation.
      I have a VBS script that tests connection to the remote registry and it connects properly from the server to the workstation.  I can provide it if needed.

I have set the credentials in Shavlik on the scan and in the Credentials area.

Any ideas of what I can try to resolve this?

• 1. Re: I am receiving a remote registry error when scanning one computer.
          Master
          First, ensure that you are properly resolving the machine via DNS by executing the following command from the console machine (where ' {machineIP}' is the IP address of the target and '{machinename}' is the name of the target):

nslookup {machineIP}
          nslookup {machinename}

Next, confirm that the remote registry service is running on the target machine. From the console machine, attempt to connect to the target machine's registry using the Windows Registry Editor. Once connected, ensure that you can browse both of the connected hives.

Lastly, create a new machine group, add the target machine, select the machine in the lower pane, then specify admin credentials which are those with which you are currently logged in to the console machine. Are you able to scan the new machine group successfully?
          • 2. Re: I am receiving a remote registry error when scanning one computer.
            Master
            I have done all of those steps, as stated in my original post.

I can conenct to the registry remotely from the console machine, I have added the credentials manually and I can resolve the hostname and connect to the IP address.

The scan is being done from a brand new machine group, the first one that was created.  This is a brand new, fresh install of Shavlik NetChk Protect and is using a local SQL express database.
            • 3. Re: I am receiving a remote registry error when scanning one computer.
              Master
              The error is related to being unable to connect to and read the necessary registry key on the remote machine. This was the reason for providing precise instructions to testing. If you are actually able to connect to the machine's registry via the Windows Registry editor, and can browse both hives (i.e. expand the keys and navigate them), then you have confirmed that your currently logged in credentials have the necessary permissions. If you add the machine to a new machine group, then specify admin credentials using the currently logged in credentials (which confirms that you are using valid credentials), and are still failing to connect, then it would indicate an issue with resolution. If you are able to resolve the machine via DNS using nslookup (both forward and reverse) correctly, then we would not expect to see the error you are receiving. At this point, I would suggest contacting support by telephone so that we can obtain some log files for further analysis.
              • 4. Re: I am receiving a remote registry error when scanning one computer.
                Master
                Thanks, I will contact the support number to have this issue resolved.