3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 11:03 PM by historicalshavlikemployee

Data Execution Prevention keeps shutting down Threat Engine on server

Master
      Running NetChk Protect on a 2008 64 bit server, suddenly started seeing DEP shutting down the Threat Engine. Windows wants me to add an exception under DEP, but why is this suddenly starting now?

Just upgraded to 7.8 yesterday, this happened before I upgraded and after.
        • 1. Re: Data Execution Prevention keeps shutting down Threat Engine on server
          Master
          When running Server 2008 you have a high probability that DEP  has blocked an instruction, and that’s the reason your executable stops  execution. By default DEP is in Windows Server 2008 enabled for all  programs and services.

1. Open the Start menu, right click at Computer and      select Properties in the context menu.
          2. On the left below Tasks click Advanced system settings. In the     Performance section click Settings. After that the window Performance Options shows up, go to the tab Data Execution Prevention, select Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only and click OK.Click OK when you are notified that you need to restart your computer.
          3. Restart your computer and test.
          • 2. Re: Data Execution Prevention keeps shutting down Threat Engine on server
            Master
            I think it's more than just this, I'm seeing event messages all over the place that the Threat Engine has stopped.

Like this on my XP 64 system:

Event Type:    Error
            Event Source:    Application Error
            Event Category:    (100)
            Event ID:    1000
            Date:        5/24/2011
            Time:        02:04:31
            User:        N/A
            Computer:    xxxxxxxxx
            Description:
            Faulting application STAgentUpdater.exe, version 7.8.1388.0, faulting module msvcr90.dll, version 9.0.30729.4148, fault address 0x0005bea4.

• 3. Re: Data Execution Prevention keeps shutting down Threat Engine on server
              Master
               The crash of STAgentUpdater.exe should not be affecting the Threat Engine.  There is a race condition in 7.8 that causes the STAgentUpdater to crash while shutting down that has the same signature as the event you posted.  However, upon investigation this is shown to not affect the ability of the agent to perform updates to itself.  It will be fixed in a future release.

The other event with that signature has yet to have any crash dump data anonomously submitted to verify if it is the same issue. It was last reported on April 29.