3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 3:26 PM by historicalshavlikcustomer

XML announcements on patching Tuesday should include what is missing

Master
      When we get a big collection of Patching Tuesday patches, you sometimes make an XML release that doesn't include everything.  For example, a release today added a couple and we're still waiting for 890830 (malicious software removal tool), 2509470 (Outlook), 2522999 (junk filter) and 2464623 (PPT viewer).  Could your announcements include a list of patches that are not ready yet?  I'm specifically asking about Patching Tuesday patches.  It wouldn't be reasonable to ask for everything you have in your queue for possible inclusion.

• 1. Re: XML announcements on patching Tuesday should include what is missing
          Master
           I agree 100% with Shavlik stating we will be breaking up releases.  I have done this in the past, but I did drop the ball during this massive patch Day.  Going forward, I will make sure to communicate more with this release strategy.

As for our upcoming releases:

As of last night, we are supporting all Security Bulletins except for the Visual Studio 2010 patch.  The patch itself is not working as it will not deploy to a target system.  We are still investigating.

For our next release, we are aiming for Friday afternoon.  This is our target list, some may drop off the list if we run out of time this week.

New Patches:
          MSRT
          Security Advisory KB2506014
          Security Advisory KB2501584
          Outlook 2003 Junk Email - April 2011
          Outlook 2007 Junk Email - April 2011
          Outlook 2010 Junk Email - April 2011
          RealPlayer 12.0.1.647 (Security)
          Adobe Flash (we are giving Adobe until 3PM central to release the patch, if not release by then, this patch will be available in our data next Tuesday)

Bug Fixes:
          Fixing multiple missing foreign language URLs
          MS11-009 detection issue after patched
          MSWU-381 false positive after applying latest patches
          MSWU-483 false positive after applying latest patches
          MS10-090 superscedence issue where shows missing after applying latest IE patch

The patch for the PowerPoint Viewer (KB2464623) is already in our XML.  If you are seeing detection issues with this patch, please let us know.

Thank you
          • 2. Re: XML announcements on patching Tuesday should include what is missing
            Master
            For Fixing the multiple foreign language URLs of High Critical Patches (MS11-018 etc.) Friday afternoon is much to late.
            In Europe it's then Saturday night and to late to test it in working conditions.
            • 3. Re: XML announcements on patching Tuesday should include what is missing
              Master
              Most of our machines have Office 2007 so they do not need the PPT viewer.  But the machine I tested on has both Office 2007 and the PPT viewer.  I uninstalled KB2464623 and rescanned.  Windows Update says the PPT viewer patch is needed.  NetChk says not with either my usual template or WUScan.

I also noticed that uninstalling 2464623 causes Windows Update to think that the cumulative security update for IE7, KB2497640, needs to be reapplied.  NetChk does not think this update needs to be reapplied.