2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2018 8:51 AM by NoName123

Is there any possibility to make installation progress / pending installations visible?

NoName123 Rookie

Is there any possibility to make it visible to the user that there are updates that need to be installed?

And is it possible to make this installation visible to the user so he knows how long the installation will take?

Thanks in advance for all input to this topic!

• 1. Re: Is there any possibility to make installation progress / pending installations visible?
          brian.taylor.support SupportEmployee

Hello,

Thanks for posting your question here.  There is a "Remote dialog" option in the General tab of your deployment template that you can use to send a message to the end user at the beginning of a deployment process, so you could use that to let them know that a deployment is starting.  More info on that here:

Configuring Patch Deployment Templates

**Caveat - the Remote dialog option does not work with agent-based deployment, only agentless deployments**

As far as visibility into the actual deployment process, there is no option to make any part of the deployment visible to an end user.  Every patch installation is run by design with "silent" options enabled specifically to make it invisible to users.  Silent installation is fundamental to our ability to support products since installation is performed by the System account (whose "user session" is not visible), so disabling the silent installation in any way would break the deployment of a significant number of products since many would then prompt for input.

There is also no way to tell how long an installation will take, so there isn't any kind of messaging our deployment process could send that would indicate a time frame accurately.  All the deployment process does is call the installer and wait for it to finish before moving onto the next one, and progress bars from vendors are notoriously unreliable, so there is not an effective way to accurately relay that info.

Let me know if that information helps, or if there is anything else I can do.

Thanks,

Brian

• 2. Re: Is there any possibility to make installation progress / pending installations visible?
            NoName123 Rookie

Hi Brian,

thank you for your detailed answer!

You are right regarding the silent installation and that it is fundamental. I absolutely agree.

BUT - We have users who are working mobile and who get updates via protected cloud. So far, so good.

Problem here is, when the user starts his notebook after some days off, all not installed patches will either be downloaded from vendor or a distributed server.

Meaning -  If the user is in need for an important work directly when starting his notebook and the agent starts downloading the patches (via internet/distributed server), the VPN connection to our network breaks down, or the local access to the internet on the company site may be affected due to a small bandwith.

That's basically network engineer work to figure out, I know. But what I want our users to know is, that they do not call our hotline just because some patches are downloaded and the network is slow. I want them to be notified, that the cause is the silent download and installation of updates.

**Caveat - the Remote dialog option does not work with agent-based deployment, only agentless deployments** - I figured that out myself. Unfortunately, we are working with the agent.

Cheers

Sebastian