3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 4:01 PM by brian.taylor.support

Offline mode patch and datafile locations

jcurtin Rookie

I'm fairly new to administering Ivanti so please bear with me -- I'm coming into a scenario where the server is configured for offline management.  I've been working on getting the console configured to point to itself as a distribution server and deploy agents, however I can't find a clear direction on how to configure it to point to 2 separate locations for the datafiles and the patch files.  The patch folder has been moved to a separate drive, and I have updated such in Tools > Options > Downloads > Patch download directory.  When I push out a new agent, 1 of 2 things happens based on how I have it configured for the distribution server path: either it is unable to download all of the manifest/asset/patch metadata files, or it is unable to download the patch files.  I cannot seem to find a way to tell it, "The manifest files are in X directory and the patch files are in Y directory."  I've tried changing the other settings for Definition download source and Patch and Service Pack download source to custom UNC paths and to the distribution server, as well as changing the path for the Client connection in the distribution server settings.

• 1. Re: Offline mode patch and datafile locations
          brian.taylor.support SupportEmployee

Hello,

Thanks for posting your question here.  There isn't a way to split the locations the way you're describing - agents will always either look to one Distribution Server or use vendor sites over the Internet to obtain necessary data.  The easiest way to accomplish what you're looking for is to share your patch download location and make that your Distribution Server, then under the Distribution Servers tab in Tools > Options, select the server in the top pane, make sure the dropdown right above that says "Core engines/definitions", and click "Add scheduled sync".

The job you schedule will sync the data files to the patch download location so everything your agents need will then be in one location.  Also, you then don't need worry about scheduling a sync of the patches to the Distribution Server because that is where the patches are already stored, so that's simplest way.  Does that makes sense?  Is there any part of that I can clarify further?

For reference, this doc covers setting up a Distribution Server, if anyone else reading this has questions about that process:

How To: Configure a UNC based Distribution Server

Thanks,

Brian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Offline mode patch and datafile locations
            jcurtin Rookie

Thank you Brian, adding the synchronization was the missing piece, now my agents are able to pull down all the files they need.

• 3. Re: Offline mode patch and datafile locations
              brian.taylor.support SupportEmployee

Wonderful!  I'm glad we could help out with that.  Thanks for confirming it worked for you.

Thanks,

Brian