4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 11:41 PM by Shoaib

VM Machine disappeared from Machine Groups

Shoaib Rookie

Hello,

I have a Shavlik console in which all the machine groups are categorised and VM's are added along with Physical servers.

Suddenly all the VM machines disappeared from the groups and now the groups are empty.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: VM Machine disappeared from Machine Groups
          Eric.Cuthill SupportEmployee

Shoaib,

The virtual machines in your machine groups are linked to the virtual inventory and the Windows user who created the group. My first thought on what is happening is that we may not be logged in as the same Windows user you had been using previous. Other thoughts would be that the Virtual inventory connection to the vcenter or hypervisors was deleted. Though the most logical and likely cause is that we are logged in as a different user.

If you are logged in as a different Windows user the best thing would be to logon as the original user and do the patching to create the scheduled scans and have them run on schedule. If the original user is not used any longer you will need to recreate the vcenter connection in the virtual inventory and recreate the machine groups for this user account.

Eric

• 2. Re: VM Machine disappeared from Machine Groups
            Shoaib Rookie

Eric,

Its true vm's are linked to the virtual inventory but vm's or machines groups not  linked to the windows user who created those groups. On your first thought..we tried to login with every user we have given permission to but all the machines groups which did contain vm's are empty. Next if the virtual inventory connection to the vcenter was deleted the answer is No. As soon as the issue occurred . I checked all the vcenters were available in the inventory.

We have other Shavlik servers too, if one user creates a machine group and adds Vm to it, that groups is available for all the other users given virtual inventory has vcenters.

Other shavlik servers with the same vcenters are fine even if a new user is logged in all the vm's and machine groups are available and if that user want to scan he can do so if he have required credentials.. The issue is only with one shavlik server.

We tried to login with every user we have and checked all the groups are empty..just showing physical machines, no vm's.. Our original user is also in use and the user who created groups is also in use. When this issue occurred I checked if the vcenters are removed from virtual inventory but they are available & we cannot just recreate the machine groups and add vm's cuz we have 1000+ vm's with more than 400 machine groups. This issue occurred thrice as of now 2 times we had to restore the server, then again we had this issue.

• 3. Re: VM Machine disappeared from Machine Groups
              Eric.Cuthill SupportEmployee

Hi,

Thank you for the update. Please go to support.ivanti.com and create a case and use the Callback feature and we can see what is going on. We will need the following items in the case you create.

1) If all your Console Servers use the same database.
              2) If the issue console's database has any SQL maintenance run on it?
              3) What is in tools, options, and display Specifically if show only items created by me is checked.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: VM Machine disappeared from Machine Groups
                Shoaib Rookie

Hi Eric,

Case is already opened (01432418) but first line of support wasn't able to resolve the issue so they forwarded the case to the back end team with case number 01436909 (but I am unable to trace it under my ID 

Anyhow..we've already checked and below are the details

1. No, each Shavlik server has its own independent app & dB.

2. No, in the options -> dB maintenance, weekly maintenance is not checked

3. In display, show only items created by me is unchecked.

It's still the same...