3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 9:18 AM by cwinning

Installing both Cumulative and Security Only patches

bobsully Rookie

To be safe, I usually install both the Windows Cumulative Update and the Security Only patches during the same task.  In this example patch Q4093115 installed successfully, but patch Q4093114 reports "File download failed" and is also counted as a "Patch Missing."  Is this the expected behavior or is there a different approach I should take to this?  I hate to miss the quicker installation if the cumulative is not needed, but then want to make sure I cover all past updates if there are missing.

• 1. Re: Installing both Cumulative and Security Only patches
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

You shouldn't be seeing a download failure for 4093114, are you able to download it from View > Patches?  It's available and should be installable if detect missing.  The cumulative patch 4093115 should contain everything included in Security only 4093114 so no need to install both of them.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Installing both Cumulative and Security Only patches
            bobsully Rookie

It does download and it has executed and rebooted. So it appears the Security Only 4093115, was detected and installed, and now the Cumulative 4093114 was detected as also being needed. I'm not sure why it failed to download initially. Should it detect the need for the Cumulative first, or is it just left up to chance if both are contained in the same deployment set.

• 3. Re: Installing both Cumulative and Security Only patches
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I can't see any dependencies between 4093114 and 4093115.  They would both show as missing as long as your Scan Template is setup for Security and Non-security.  The would both install if deployed in the same deployment.

One caveat is if you install rollup 4093114 first, you don't need to install the 4093115 since all of the security patches are already included in 4093114.

Thanks,

Charles