4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2018 10:11 AM by ddenning

Deploy Custom Software

BuzzLightyear Rookie

My company has created custom software that we are wanting to deploy across our domain utilizing Shavlik Protect 9.2.  I saw that this was possible through Custom Actions.

https://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-23447

We created the Null Patch Scan and successfully scanned a target machine.  We created a Custom Action to push out the customapp.exe only. No install (baby steps).

However, When we create a Push File job, Shavlik never pushes out the file. We scoured the target machine's Propatches folder but do not see it in any folder.  We turned off the host firewall, AV, and defender.  The Push File still never pushes the .exe app.

I thought maybe it was just the size of the .exe (although we pushed out Windows 10 patches over a GB easily enough). So I create a batch file that simply restarts the target machine.  I create a Push File Job (no Call run job, again, baby steps) and even after waiting an hour, I never see the batch file in the target machine's propatches folder.

This is custom app that is not in the Software Distribution folder so we are not able to use that option as a method of pushing out (unless you can add custom software to that folder, have not seen documents on how to do that yet). Are there particular settings or features that are needed for this to be doable?

• 1. Re: Deploy Custom Software
          ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question.

Where you want to check is in the C:\Windows\ProPatches\Installation\Installation Sandbox (this will change every time, but it has the date of the deployment).

It you still suspect AV as well, we have an Antivirus exclusion document here Antivirus Exclusions For Patch Deployments .

Thanks!

David

• 2. Re: Deploy Custom Software
            BuzzLightyear Rookie

the AV is not installed, I stripped that to remove it from the equation temporarily.  I tried the Push File act again, just pushing out the .bat file.  The .bat file is on the Shavlik server itself, and I verified its location when inputting into the file Push File path.

On the target Machine I went to C:\Windows\Propatches\Installation\  but there was nothing in there.  A blank file.

none of the logs on the target machine show any updates since yesterday either.

• 3. Re: Deploy Custom Software
              ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi,

Thank you for the update. Please go to support.ivanti.com and create a case and use the Callback feature and we can see what is going on.

Thanks!

David

• 4. Re: Deploy Custom Software
                ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi,

Thank you for calling in and working with us on this. It turns out that the custom action was failing because the deployment itself was failing. Once we figured out the reason for that, the custom action worked and now you are just troubleshooting the commands in your batch file.

Thanks!

David