7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2018 11:02 AM by anthony.swanson

sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?

dainis Rookie

Good day.

It appears my SQL database 'protect' has become corrupted and the SQL Express server basically bombs the machine. so I can't do anything without booting into safe mode. As it happens, I have an auto-generated backup from 1/28. What's the best/easiest way to roll back to this version of the database?

• 1. Re: sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?
          anthony.swanson SupportEmployee

Hello,

Thank you for your post. The document below will help to go over the restore process of your database using SQL Management Studio.

Restore Shavlik Database From Backup Using SQL Server Management Studio

Let me know if you need anything more!

Thank you,

Anthony

• 2. Re: sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?
            dainis Rookie

Well unfortunately I don't think this will work as SQL server needs to be running to be accessed via Management Studio. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not an SQL guy. However, once I start the SQL Express service, it effectively kills the machine and no other operations can be deployed.

Frankly I'm not entirely certain the existing database is corrupted at all. What I do know is that SQL server just can't run without bombing the machine.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-dg

• 3. Re: sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?

Hello,

From the sounds of it, either your SQL installation is corrupted, your database is over the 10GB cap, or your system doesn't have the resources needed to properly run the SQL instance.

You may consider moving your SQL DB to a dedicated server and see if that helps at all. Also make sure that your DB file (databasename.mdf) is not pushing or exceeding the 10GB cap.

Thank you,

Anthony

• 4. Re: sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?
                dainis Rookie

The Protect.mdf file is, in fact, a 10GB file, however, I deleted all the items out of it from within Protect last week, so the actual active data within it is nowhere near 10GB. The backup that was created on 1/28 is only 1.48GB, which is quite likely to be the size of the actual data in use.

• 5. Re: sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. At this point, I would still recommend either rebuilding the SQL installation or move the SQL DB to a dedicated server. SQL shouldn't bomb out a server, especially not an Express installation. The only way that could happen is if you give less than the recommended settings for SQL Express to work properly.

Thank you,

Anthony

• 6. Re: sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?
                    dainis Rookie

I was able to copy two backups (the one from 1.28 and a previous one from 12.31) to another machine with a fresh install of SQL Express. BOTH restores fail because the size is larger than 10240MB.

How is it that Shavlik is able to create a database that is too large to open? Shouldn't the Protect product work within the limitations of the database that it is using?

This is a turnkey product that ships with SQL Express, and seemingly should work with that out of the box. I don't understand the concept that we should be running a dedicated SQL server for it - it -is- dedicated. It's running on the same machine as the Protect Console, and serves only one database for Protect. If the implication is that there should be a separate server running SQL Express, then I fail to understand how that helps, when it's the Protect product itself that is creating an unusable database.

Any suggestions on how to make the backup file able to be opened?

Thanks in advance,

-dg

• 7. Re: sql database corrupted - roll back to recent backup?

Hello,

While we do include the SQL express installation as apart of our installer, it is still a Microsoft product with its own limitations. The Protect product does have the options to maintain the database, but this is not something configured to run by default. Enabling database maintenance to maintain the size of the database would be setup post-installation through Tools > Options > Database Maintenance.

I would suggest at this point that you open a support case here and we can look into what is happening with your current setup and database.

Thank you,

Anthony