6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 4:12 AM by ben12

Shavlik - Initiate Reboot Immediately

menesesj2 Rookie

In our deployment template, users can initiate the reboot as soon as patch installation is complete. When they do so, it takes some time before the computer actually reboots (sometimes as long as 10 minutes).

Is there a way to quicken this restart time?

• 1. Re: Shavlik - Initiate Reboot Immediately
          ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question.

You can modify the the force action after x minutes setting to force the reboot to happen almost instantaneously:

We also do use the Windows reboot API so that can factor into the reboot time as well.

Thanks!

David

• 2. Re: Shavlik - Initiate Reboot Immediately
            menesesj2 Rookie

Thanks for the response. We already have that set after 480 minutes where the computer will reboot after 2 minutes. I'm referring to when a user initiates the reboot  instead of waiting for the timeout. This is the screen that appears after selecting "I'm ready..." It doesn't reboot immediately and takes about 10 minutes to reboot.

2017-11-17_15-23-59.png

• 3. Re: Shavlik - Initiate Reboot Immediately
              ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi,

Thank you for the update. I tested the same scenario with a 9.2 agent and it rebooted less than a minute after I asked to reboot immediately rather than waiting as the user. I did not have any other applications open when I rebooted or any other profiles logged on so that is most likely what is causing the delay in the reboot. When we initiate the reboot we make a call to the OS using the same commands as if you were to reboot the machine from a command prompt. Once that call is made, it is up to the OS how long it takes to actually reboot the machine and to close the programs or processes or pending updates delaying the reboot.

Thanks!

David

• 4. Re: Shavlik - Initiate Reboot Immediately
                menesesj2 Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know off hand how to determine what would be causing these delayed restarts?

• 5. Re: Shavlik - Initiate Reboot Immediately
                  ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi,

It is hard to say, but I would assume programs needing to close or background tasks running on the OS such as Microsoft Office, AV, etc. We do not control or log past the point we request the reboot from the OS so that is about the extent of what we can tell you.

Thanks!

David

• 6. Re: Shavlik - Initiate Reboot Immediately
                    ben12 Rookie

Hello menesesj2,

from my experience the mentioned screen appears if you have set the option "System Dialog for all terminal sessions" to a high value. Set this to 0 seconds and set the other values to a low count if you want a fast reboot. The mentioned setting is only good for terminal servers then every user receive the System Dialog. At normal clients not necessary from my point of view.

BR

Ben