8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2017 9:00 AM by john.lauritzen

Agent questions

PPIBB1 Rookie

Does anyone know how to push 1709 to agents so the next time they check in they download the update?  I have the 1709 update working on machines that I scan and manually push the update, but I would like to have the remote machines that I have a hard time reaching get the update also.

• 1. Re: Agent questions
          john.lauritzen SupportEmployee

Hello,

To have Agents download and deploy Service Packs like 1709 you need to configure the Agent Policy for it, as detailed in this document: How To: Automated Service Pack Deployment with Agents

Please note that as the 1709 update is not directly available from Microsoft as a download, you will need to use have the update on a distribution server and configure the Agent Policy to download from there as detailed here: How To: Configure an Agent Policy to Use a Distribution Server

Thanks,

John

• 2. Re: Agent questions
            PPIBB1 Rookie

I have the agents already setup to install SP's.  I guess my disconnect is creating a Distribution server.  I will start looking into how to create one.  Does anyone know if each cloud instance needs their own distribution server?

• 3. Re: Agent questions
              PPIBB1 Rookie

Does anyone have a good document on setting up a Distribution Server? 

I would love for the agent and agentless deployments to work together.  So if a laptop that has an agent installed is connected to the network and I push 1709 and schedule it for 8PM and the machine gets taken off the network and or shutdown the agent does the job when the machine powers back up. 

• 4. Re: Agent questions

Hello,

You only need one distribution server, as long as all of your Agents can access it through the network. Depending on the number of agents and the network path they need to take, it might be advisable to create multiple Distribution Servers to reduce download time and load on servers but that depends on your environment.

Thanks,

John

• 5. Re: Agent questions
                  PPIBB1 Rookie

We help a few members that are separate and I am just trying to find a way to get the 1709 updates to the machines that are not on the network all the time.  They have agents and are using the cloud but I am not liking the thought of poking holes in the firewall just to get a MS service pack.  We have the server/console that has all the updates we use for pushing.

• 6. Re: Agent questions

Hello,

Unfortunately, as Microsoft does not provide a publicly available download link it cannot be downloaded directly to Cloud Agents. There are a few different options to deliver the ISO to the agents:

1) Setup a HTTPS Distribution Server for secure and authenticated distribution: Configuring Authenticated HTTPS (SSL) Distribution Servers

2) If you provide the ISO through some other method, such as a cloud based file share, then those remote users who connect via the cloud can place the ISO in their patch directory so it does not need to be download before it attempts to install. This directory is: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Agent\Patch\PatchData

Thanks,

John

• 7. Re: Agent questions
                      PPIBB1 Rookie

So how does Ivanti handle me "pushing" the ISO as a scheduled update to deploy now and to run at 8PM, but the machine gets shutoff at 7PM?  Does the ISO get put in that directory and will the Agent get it installed?

• 8. Re: Agent questions

Hello,

If you are scheduling a deployment through the Ivanti Patch for Windows console then it does not interact with the Agent at all. Any items scheduled from the console are handled as Agentless deployments.

In the scenario that you described, the ISO would be pushed out to C:\Windows\ProPatches\Patches, but the scheduled installation would fail as the system was not on at that time. The Agent would not interact with the ISO, as Agent patches are downloaded to C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Agent\Patch\PatchData. If it could not download the ISO from a distribution server or the console it would not be able to install it.

A possible work around, if you are able to push the ISO during a particular window from the console to the system, would be to use a Custom Action to run a script that moves the ISO from the Agentless directory to the Agent directory so the Agent can execute it at its scheduled time.

Thanks,

John