4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2017 11:17 AM by john.lauritzen

Dot NET patches not deploying properly

Sean.Flores Rookie

Quite often during our patch cycle .NET patches will not be installed by Shavlik. We are able to copy the files to the machines during the deployment but the installation never seems to take place. We are able to manually install the .NET patches without issues.

I have found on another thread to check the 'General' tab of our deployment template for 'Quiet Mode', but that option is not available and the thread was from 4 years ago.

Any ideas on what may be preventing .NET patches from deploying?

We are on the following version:

Shavlik Protect Standard 9.2.0 Build 5119

• 1. Re: Dot NET patches not deploying properly
          john.lauritzen SupportEmployee

Hello,

When you deploy .NET patches and they fail, what error do you receive? You can find the error listed in the results from the deployment. With the failure happening after the files are copied over, you'll want to look for the return code listed in the description. Typically this return code will be either 0 or 3010 for successful deployments, and an application specific error code if there is a failure. This code will help point to where the failure is happening with the deployment.

Thanks,

John

• 2. Re: Dot NET patches not deploying properly
            Sean.Flores Rookie

I do not get error codes. From the Deployment tracker, it just shows the patches as either scheduled or copied. If I run patching without .NET patches included the tracker works correctly and patches are installed.

• 3. Re: Dot NET patches not deploying properly

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification. With no error code being reported back I would recommend creating a case with support here, and including the logs from one of the systems you are seeing the problems with deploying .NET to. The logs on the system will be located at C:\Windows\ProPatches\Logs.

Thanks,

John

• 4. Re: Dot NET patches not deploying properly

Hello,

Another option you can try to determine where the problem is happening would be to try running the .NET patch as the local system account, as this is how patches are deployed through Protect. To run the patch as a system account you will need to perform the following steps on the system:

1) Download psexec from the following link, and extract it onto the problem system: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

2) Open a command prompt and navigate to the extracted folder

3) Run the following command to open a command prompt as the local system acocunt: psexec.exe cmd.exe -s -i

4) In the new command prompt, navigate to and execute the patch with the switches used to run it silently

The switches used to run the patch silently can be found in the STDeployerCore.log file on the system, located in C:\Windows\ProPatches\Logs.

Thanks,

John