5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 10:35 AM by anthony.swanson

Deploying custom patch

saltwater Rookie

I'm trying to deploy a Microsoft hot fix using the Custom Action tab using the documentation link below.

https://help.ivanti.com/sh/help/en_US/PWS/93/Topics/Deployment_Template__Custom_Actions_Tab.htm

I do a null patch scan and use the Custom Action for deployment

My Custom Action:

1 - push a file

2 - Install the .msu using the syntax below

%PATHTOFIXES%wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2888853-x64.msu /quiet

It doesn't seem to be working since the destination machine is not rebooting. Running the command "wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2888853-x64.msu /quiet" manually on the machine reboots the box.

Looking the the client, the .msu file is on "C:\Windows\ProPatches\Installation\InstallationSandbox#2017-10-20-T-19-43-09". I don't know if the variable %PATHTOFIXES% points the the correct folder where the .msu is located. Is there a missing step that I don't have?

• 1. Re: Deploying custom patch
          anthony.swanson SupportEmployee

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question. The use of %Pathtofixes% is the variable used to find the Installation Sandbox folder. Now for the command, I would suggest that you do a command more like 'call %pathtofixes%win6.1-KB2888853-x64.msu /quiet /norestart' and see if that helps you with making the installation run.

Thank you,

Anthony

• 2. Re: Deploying custom patch
            saltwater Rookie

It's working. I have "call %pathtofixes%win6.1-KB2888853-x64.msu /quiet /norestart" on #4 on the custom action. On #3, I have it set to "Before any patches". I can see on the client side that "win6.1-KB2888853-x64.msu" file was pushed. But, on one of the logs states that "2017-10-24T19:40:13.0702620Z 17e4 I DeploymentFileSetBuilder.cpp:107 Moving 'C:\Windows\ProPatches\Staged\2017-10-24-T-19-40-10\deployPackage-176958.zip' to 'C:\Windows\ProPatches\Installation\InstallationSandbox#2017-10-24-T-19-40-12\deployPackage-176958.zip'.". When I uncompressed the zip file, I don't see anything there that states that it will deploy the .msu file.

• 3. Re: Deploying custom patch

Hello,

The deployment is not tracked through that zip file. When you want to see what happened in the custom action, you would look at the STDeploy.log file in C:\Windows\Propatches\Logs. This is where the custom action information will be shown.

As a recommendation, I would suggest changing the action type from Before any patches to After All patches. This is recommended especially if you're using the nullpatch.exe file as part of the custom action deployments.

Thank you,

Anthony

• 4. Re: Deploying custom patch
                saltwater Rookie

Thank you, Anthony! That did the trick when "changing it type from Before any patches to After All patches".

• 5. Re: Deploying custom patch

Hello,

Glad to hear that all worked out for you!

Regards,

Anthony