9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2017 10:04 AM by anthony.swanson

Unable to install numerous patches on numerous OS

danpalewis Rookie

Hey all.

I believe i have posted about this in the past. We have been having this completely random issue where multiple patches are failing. It doesn't seem to matter whether this is Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008. We've been unable to determine any common factor amongst the machines that will fail patches. Shavlik will seemingly be able to install a few, then suddenly one will fail then they all fail and the machine rolls back the patches. In the logs, we see this VERY generic error message:

(From the Setup Log) Package XXXXXXXXX failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x80070020

(From the System Log) Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070020: Patch name.

We thought that we were onto something with disabling UAC, but that wasn't it. Previously in order to try and fix this, we would attempt to manually install a patch by itself, then proceed with the Shavlik installation. This seems that it would work for a patch or two and they would continue to fail again. Due to the generic error messages we get, I'm completely unable to find anything relevant anywhere on the internet. Most of it appears to pertain to Windows 10 patching.

Has anyone run into this and have any suggestions? Unfortunately on the current machine that is doing this, I'm unable to test anything as it is a server that has to be rebooted during a change window. I don't have any other computers on hand at the moment that I would be able to perform trial and error on that is having the issue.

Thanks!