1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 3:28 PM by Eric.Cuthill

help w/patching off site computers and looking for info on patching centos.

rthacker Rookie

I have a couple questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.  The company i'm with has recently purchased Ivanti Patch for Windows servers.  The software has been installed and configured to patch our local servers & workstations and is working great!  We have several offsite employees that we'd also like to use ivanti to manage patching their systems.   Would a distribution server be what I would need to set up to make this happen?  Since the users would not be on our corporate network I would guess an agent of some sort would need to be installed to ensure the computer checked in.  Are there other considerations?  And where would I find the correct documentation?  (I found some at this link for making a UNC based distribution server, would this work for my purposes? How To: Configure a UNC based Distribution Server )

My second question is completely unrelated, My company has a handful of linux based servers running centos that we'd like to add into our patch management.  I've seen discussion of a product called PATCH FOR LINUX, UNIX, MAC https://www.ivanti.com/products/patch-management-for-linux-unix-mac , is this what I need?  Is this the same as HEAT?   I'm looking for some documention on how I would set that up & would I be able to manage them in the same web interface that I use for Patch for Windows Servers? or would a separate patch server need to be configured?

Also, Is this even compatible with centos?

• 1. Re: help w/patching off site computers and looking for info on patching centos.
          Eric.Cuthill SupportEmployee

For your first question a cloud agent would be the best option. I have included the linked document below on how to setup and configure the cloud agents. The agent will be installed on the off network machines they will run off a policy you set in the console and have uploaded to our cloud servers. The Agent will check in to our cloud servers and will download patches directly from the vendors making it so you do not need to setup a distribution server. Their scan results will sync down to your console from the cloud servers for reporting.

How To: Install and Use a Protect Cloud Agent

How To: Install and Use a Protect Cloud Agent

Your other set of questions may be best addressed by sales but yes that is the product that you would use to patch anything outside of the Windows OS. It does work with CentOS and you should be able to run both on the same server. At this time the interfaces are separate.