9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 2:46 PM by PPIBB1

Copy Speed Function

shanew Employee

Hi Team

I was asked this by a customer today. Throttling of patch deployments. It looks like there used to be an option on the Deployment template called "Copy Speed". Maybe I am blind but I cant find it on the latest version.

Is there a way on 9.3 to throttle downloads ?

Thanks

Shane

• 1. Re: Copy Speed Function
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

That option was removed and new feature was created to help throttle scan and deployments.  Tools > Options > Patch > Global Thread Pool.

Specifies the total number of threads that can be used during a patch scan or deployment, an asset scan or a power status scan. The value you specify will be multiplied by the number of logical CPUs on the console machine to determine the maximum number of threads that may be used during a scan instance. One thread will be used to scan one machine, so if you specify a maximum of 64 threads it means that 64 machines can be simultaneously scanned during one scan. Allowing many machines to be scanned at the same time requires more network resources. Reduce this number if you are scanning over a slow link.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Copy Speed Function
            shanew Employee

Hi Charles

Not an expert but just a quick look at these features seems to me that they are totally different.

The copy speed feature manages bandwidth for file copies, and the thread feature manages cpu threads for scans?

So is there a new version of the copy speed feature. If not, is there a plan to put one back in?

Thanks

Shane

• 3. Re: Copy Speed Function
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

For customers that have bandwidth concerns, we suggest using agents with Distribution Servers.  This will greatly reduce the amount bandwidth used for the scans and patch copying.  You could also stay agentless for the scan and use Distribution Servers to same on bandwidth copying files to it. 

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Copy Speed Function
                PPIBB1 Rookie

So the answer is there is no plans on putting network throttling back in?  This really needs revisited with how Microsoft is doing Windows 10.  If I push out 1709 to one machine it just about kills the network.  It would be nice to set a max network usage in MB for Ivanti so we can better control how much we are affecting networks.

• 5. Re: Copy Speed Function
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

At this time, the best option if for customers to voice their concerns and ideas at our new feature request site:  Ivanti Ideas

This new site gives customers a public view, chance to up-vote and provide new ideas.

I agree with this request, I'll up-vote it as soon as I see it.

Thanks,

Charles

• 7. Re: Copy Speed Function
                    cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Doesn't hurt to vote for it or add another one, they would be linked at some point.

I up-voted this one.

Thanks,

Charles

• 8. Re: Copy Speed Function
                      PPIBB1 Rookie

I added my two cents and upvoted as well

• 9. Re: Copy Speed Function
                        PPIBB1 Rookie

After killing the network trying to push the 1709 I believe I found a way to throttle network bandwidth usage for pushing updates.  I created a group policy QoS that throttles outbound traffic to 137-139, 445 to 6500KBps (6.5MBps) and once I did a gpupdate on Ivanti the throughput went from 100+ Mbps to 48-60Mbps. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful