4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 11:20 AM by cwinning

9.3 Change: Loss of Mass Edit & Control Functionality in Scheduled Remote Tasks

fdhand3 Rookie

Having upgraded to 9.3 this week, I noticed that there is no longer an option to view scheduled remote tasks in a list format.  You can only view it per machine.  This is a pretty significant loss of functionality for us.  During our patch windows we schedule different groups of servers to kick off at different times.  Sometimes those times depend on how the group of servers before them did.  If one group finishes 30 minutes sooner than we allocated, we want to kick off all the jobs on the next batch.  We used to be able to highlight all the jobs and the just choose "run".

Sometimes we might need to delay a group or reschedule.  Same situation.  In 9.2, it was easy to select all the servers scheduled to kick off at 10:00 PM and reschedule them for 11:00 PM.  Cannot be done en masse anymore in 9.2

I have submitted a feature request already, but was wondering if anyone else had encountered this and/or found a workaround.

scheduled_tasks.png

Thanks!

-D.

• 1. Re: 9.3 Change: Loss of Mass Edit & Control Functionality in Scheduled Remote Tasks
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

As far as I can see Protect 9.2 doesn't allow you to select multiple scheduled deployments and manipulate them.  It lists them, but you can only choose 1 at a time.

You can select multiple scheduled scans with automatic deployments and choose to edit delete, run now. You can do this in 9.2 and 9.3 in Manage > Scheduled Console Tasks.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: 9.3 Change: Loss of Mass Edit & Control Functionality in Scheduled Remote Tasks
            fdhand3 Rookie

Hi Charles - Thanks for the reply.  In 9.3 there is no more Scheduled Console Tasks pane, instead, the scheduled tasks are only viewable on a per-machine basis.  When in 9.3 if you go to Manage > Scheduled Remote Tasks, you get a pop-up that says:  "Remote scheduled tasks have moved. They are now viewable under the 'View scheduled tasks' menu item for a given machine. Go to 'View->Machines' to get started."

Shavlik9.3 Error - ScheduledRemoteTasks.png

In 9.3, when you go to View > Machines, you can indeed view and modify tasks for a given machine but only one machine per window.  There is no way to reschedule a deployment set at 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM or to kick all the deployments off early, as there was in 9.2.  NOTE:  You can cancel multiple jobs from the Deployment Tracker in 9.3, but that is the only mass edit option.

scheduled_tasks.png

I installed a copy of 9.2 on a test machine so I could go back and sanity check my observations.  As I suspected, I was able to create a deployment and was able to modify the deployment across multiple machines on 9.2.  This is just not possible in 9.3.  Here is a screenshot from within 9.2 of the Scheduled Remote Tasks window showing the options that I am referring to and how they apply to multiple machines.

Shavlik9.2ScheduledRemoteTasks.png

Hope this helps to show the problems I'm having.  I'm happy to set up a WebEx and to demonstrate what I've described above.

• 3. Re: 9.3 Change: Loss of Mass Edit & Control Functionality in Scheduled Remote Tasks
              cwinning CommunityTeam

That was very helpful, let me get back to you after speaking to the Product Owner.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: 9.3 Change: Loss of Mass Edit & Control Functionality in Scheduled Remote Tasks
                cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Since the change is there, your best option would be to submit a feature request on this.  Personally, I agree the change is limiting.

Make sure to link this thread since your screenshots are perfect.

Feature Request

Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Thanks,

Charles