4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 9:11 AM by cwinning

Update not working for single server

Crod1234 Rookie

Trying to patch a single server (win 2003 std r2) when I do so this is the experience:

1. From shavlik 9.3.0 build 4379, i go through process of deploying and installing patch and it just sits in "Scheduled" status

2. From the server itself C:\windows\ProPatches\Logs \STDeploy.log (WinTrustVerifier.cpp:270 Certificate Verification failed with error: 2146762748

3. sys event ID 7030 - The ST Remote Scheduler Service service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. this service may not function properly.

I've uncheck "Allow service to interact with desktop" nothing, even added my admin creds to the service logon still nothing.

what am I missing, kinda new to Shavlik.

• 1. Re: Update not working for single server
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The Microsoft error 2146762748 is referring to the OS's inability to verify the certificate used for communication.

• It's possible the remote schedule needs to be re-installed.  You can accomplish this in View > Machines.  Right-click on the machine and choose View Scheduled Tasks.  Wait for it to refresh then choose Uninstall then Install.
          • If this Server is disconnected from the internet then it's possible the root certificates and\or Certificate Revocation Lists (CRL) haven't been updated in a long time.  These are normally updated through Windows Update checks.  I've download 2 CRL's that we use for Protect, installing these on the target may help:
          1. Right Click on the file --> Install CRL
          2. Click Next
          3. Select Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate
          4. Click Next
          5. Click Finish
          6. You should see The import was Successful
          • You could also try switching over to the Microsoft Scheduler.  Tools > Options > Scheduling set to Microsoft Scheduler.

Thanks,

Charles

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Update not working for single server
            Crod1234 Rookie

Thank you first off for the reply back, so when try your 1st bullet point I get this initially then I cancel.

Shavlik03_Remote_Desktop_Connection.png

I then click on cancel and receive the following error which crashes the whole console rinse and repeat same thing.

I then went on to install your CRL's successfully then ran another install of one patch from the Shavlik console and it went back to being stuck in the "Scheduled" state I then opened up the STDeploy log and found this error:

WinTrustVerifier.cpp:270 Certificate verification failed with error: -2146762748

I then went over to the scheduler and see nothing in it.

I believe we have support with this product so I might just call in.

• 3. Re: Update not working for single server
              Crod1234 Rookie

Resolved issue with support by exporting VeriSign certificates from a known working machine and importing them to the affected node.

• 4. Re: Update not working for single server
                cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Yep, that would have been next on my list, glad Support was able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot for verifying the fix, it will be helpful for other customers.

Thanks,

Charles