3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 10:07 AM by cwinning

Firefox x64 automatically installed

tuxOnWindows Rookie

I was on a user's computer earlier and noticed that it had both x86 & x64 versions of Firefox installed. The install date for both was 2/1/17 which would've been right after FF17-001 (QFF51006227) & FF17-002 (QFF51016234) was pushed to that computer. I've searched through Shavlik's Patches to find that the last time Shavlik published a separate update for x86 & x64 versions of Firefox was in Bulletin FF16-008, so I'm unsure if Firefox x64 was installed prior to 2/1/17.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any idea how I would uninstall Firefox x64 without effecting Firefox x86 on about 150 computers? For reference, my users don't have install permissions so Shavlik's the only way the 64bit version of Firefox could've gotten installed.

• 1. Re: Firefox x64 automatically installed
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Hmm, not sure how that could have happened. The latest FireFox patch in our data was added on 01/24/2017.  Do you use a custom Scan Template with a Patch Group?  If you do have a Patch Group, did you include any Qnumbers that end with an N, like QFF51016234N?  If you do, that would mean you scanned for Software Distribution installers. This would in theory offer FireFox 64bit even if you have the 32bit version installed.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Firefox x64 automatically installed
            tuxOnWindows Rookie

Hi cwinning,

The FF17-002 patch was added on 1/26/17 & the FF17-001 was added on 1/24/17. The install date being 2/1 is most likely due to when our patch scans ran. I do use a custom scan template with a patch group but the patch group contains no Q#'s that end with an "N". Attached is the export from that patch group.

• 3. Re: Firefox x64 automatically installed
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thanks for the information, that was helpful. The only time we see issues like this in the wild are when Software Distribution is in the mix, but that not the case here. The Content Team and I attempted to reproduce the issue, we started with various versions of 32bit FireFox up to the FF17-001 release.  Only the FF17-002 for 32bit was installed, FireFox 64bit was not installed.

Do you have a machine where it hasn't been deployed the latest patches to and 32bit FireFox is installed?  If yes, I would love to see some trace logging against it to determine what we are detecting.

If not, it's possible trace logs from a machine this happened to could shed some light.

This is the tool:  DPDTrace GUI Tool: Used to troubleshoot patch detection issues

(the default settings are OK)

Scan a machine and provide the zip that is created for you.

If you don't want attach to the thread, a case would need to be opened referring to this thread.  (no passwords are included in trace logs)

Thanks,

Charles