3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 11:01 AM by cwinning

open file security warning

wtaylorCSC Rookie

After pushing the Jan 2017 OS updates via Shavlik Protect; need to push a few additional the Notepad+ & JRE8-121.

Now receiving Windows7 message "open file security warning", run or cancel, yes to "always as before opening the file.

thoughts on what to change in GPO?

• 1. Re: open file security warning
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

This may help:  disable "Open File Security Warning"

Or this maybe:

1.  Go to Group Policy and then expand:

Local Computer Policy / User Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Attachment Manager

2.  On the right pane, double click Inclusion list for low file types.

3.  Click Enable.

4.  Include the file types such as .exe;.bat;.reg;.vbs in the Options box.

5.  Click OK.

Thanks,

Charles

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: open file security warning
            wtaylorCSC Rookie

Thanks - I located:

http://woshub.com/how-to-disable-open-file-security-warnings-in-windows-7/

Looking at this; I think I am opening a bigger opportunity for issues.

interesting how this is now an issue with Shavlik Protect 9.2.0 build 5119 only after the OS updates from January 2017 were applied. 

An alternative method is to check the file itself, as windows may add a block to the file properties, as it an .exe downloaded from an internet location.

The issue is expanded upon in this document: https://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-24212

If this is the cause, you can unblock the file in the patch repo on the console, and remove it from target machines. Once the file is re-pushed, it shouldn't trigger the error. It only affects that file in question, so you aren't whitelisting all .exe files.

I deleted the "erroring" files from the console, had Shavlik Protect download them again, testing appears to be successful.

• 3. Re: open file security warning
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I'm certain our phones would be 'ringing off the hook' if the issue was specific to Protect.  I don't see other posts or cases about this to date.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Charles