7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 8:20 AM by ddenning

Scanning method for different groups

makamajo Rookie

Hi

Different groups of sevrer and you want to scan them in different ways. Tex group wants to have both critical and non-critical updates, so it would be good if we could have a default scanning method for different groups.

Is it possible to do?

/Maria

• 1. Re: Scanning method for different groups
          ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi Maria,

Thank you for posting your question. Protect allows you to create custom scan templates by going to New > Patch Scan Template on your console. You can then select whatever type of updates from whatever vendors or products that you want and save the templates. Then when you go to scan, you simply need to pick the patch scan template that you want for a machine group before selecting to scan.

Unfortunately you can not set more than one default scan template and you will need to pick the templates when you scan, but we would love your input on how we can make our product better and would appreciate you submitting a feature request for that by going to Help > Submit a feature request.

Thanks!

David

• 2. Re: Scanning method for different groups
            makamajo Rookie

Thanks, I know that. Just easy to forget and run it as default. Would be simplified if you could have different default on different groups. But it works very well anyway :-)

Just easy to forget what scanning method that shall be to all the different groups.

/Maria

• 3. Re: Scanning method for different groups
              ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi Maria,

My apologies. I just remembered that we also have a Favorites feature. You can use this by doing the following:

1) Go to New > Favorite

2) Name your favorite and choose the machine groups and the template you want to run with those machine groups.

3) Save your configuration.

You can then click on the Results/Machine Group/Agent Policies/Templates/Favorites/Virtual Inventory/Results drop down in the upper left corner of Protect and navigate to your Favorite at any time to launch a scan from that favorite. I think this is exactly what you want.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks!

David

• 4. Re: Scanning method for different groups
                makamajo Rookie

Hello again!

It does not work. I made a new favorite that I then clicked in the groups that I want to scan both critical and non-critical updates. Selected template to do that and saved.

Back to the Machine Group and took a group to scan this (run operation), but still want to use it as I sat as the default template, but I have to scroll down to the desired template. (Select / confirm operation)

/Maria

• 5. Re: Scanning method for different groups
                  ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi Maria,

The only way you can use the favorite that you created is to go into the favorite and click to run the operation from there. Then the scheduling prompt will launch with all of your machine groups and scan templates pre-selected.

Favorite.PNG

Please let me know if that works for you.

Thanks!

David

• 6. Re: Scanning method for different groups
                    makamajo Rookie

okay. Thanks for help, would have been nice if it worked from the Machine Group.

The way to run from the favorite works.

/Maria

• 7. Re: Scanning method for different groups
                      ddenning SupportEmployee

Hi Maria,

Thank you for the update. As I mentioned, we would love for you to submit a feature request for any improvements that can be made to Protect as we really do value your input. But I am glad we were able to give you a good alternative for now.

Thanks!

David