9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 2:29 PM by dharmatma

Running out of space on Protect server

dharmatma Rookie

Hello. I have space problems on the protect server. We had it provisioned for 200gb and despite shrinking of the SQL database (it's at 70G) and running the IT script to clean up patches older than 180 days, I still run out of space. We just had to provision an additional 100gb but this won't last. What am I missing? Nothing else on this server. Temp and download folders are clean. Are there logs I should be cleaning out? Advice appreciated.

• 1. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
          aShen SupportEmployee

HI dharmatma,

Have you found out which folder/files are growing rapidly to fill up your space? Is it your SQL database mdf and ldf files? Normally patch download location may grow gradually but would not fill up that much space. It will be necessary to locate which folders are growing to pinpoint the problematic app that had caused this. Shavlik logs are located in C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs, but I hardly believe that's the culprit. If you have found that it is your mdf and ldf files growing fast, check the size of your Protect database. If you are running lots of frequent scans (especially asset scans) on many managed devices your Protect database may grow very fast.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
            dharmatma Rookie

I will do more research and get back to you. FYI:

System is not doing asset scans. System has 150 combination agent-based, and agent-less systems. Scans for some are weekly or daily (agent-based). Scans for the rest are once/month.

What troubles me is the SQL database is 70g, but that should not be a problem with a provisioning of 200gb. So I don't think it's the database. I'll let you know. Thanks aShen and CWinning.

• 3. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
              dharmatma Rookie

Hello,

Here is what I have found:

The ldf database in SQL is huge and is the bulk of the SQL db at over 70G. I have changed the logging to basic from all. Any way to delete old logs in the ldf database?

Also the C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console folder is 106g. Not sure what to do to shrink that.

Ideas welcome. Thank you.

• 4. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
                aShen SupportEmployee

You can shrink the SQL logs to bring the size of the log file down, steps can be found from the article at the bottom of this thread.

From the size of your C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console folder, you may have lots of scan results not pruned. If you haven't setup a scheduled maintenance job in Protect, you might want to do so. Maybe only keep a few months of results and prune the rest. Please select "Rebuild indexes" option, and if necessary- select "backup database and transaction log" then click Run Now. Here's a doc that explains how to set up maintenance job and shrink SQL logs:

Shavlik Protect Database Maintenance - Purging or Cleaning Up a Large Database 

Let us know if it helps!

• 5. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
                  brett.carl Rookie

I also ran into this issue and created a scheduled task that would purge the SQL backups right before a new backup is run weekly. This may help you as well if you don't want the overhead of cleaning up the backups.

SQL Database Backup & Transaction Log

• 6. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
                    dharmatma Rookie

Hello,

Here is the update.

• I went into SQL on the server and ensured the db was shrunk.
                    • I ran the db cleanup in Tools>Operations>DB Maintenance.
                    • I changed the db maintenance settings drastically now that I understand that every scan is logged. (Ran a cleanup after the mods as well.) How that affects long term drive usage remains to be seen.
                    • I changed the agent patch scan settings from hourly to daily plus other modifications
                    • Logging on the console is at basic (it had been verbose).
                    • Still seeing the same size on the C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console folder after all the above.
                    • When I look at the Patches folder C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console\Patches I see over 1600 items and many of them are over 2 years old. And that folder is 69gb. Is this normal?

So of 300 GB provisioned, I still have only 88.5gb free. I am certain the above resets will help but don't know what else to do to gain more space. What am I missing?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
                      dharmatma Rookie

2nd comment:

I spoke too soon! I performed the Additional optional steps to be performed within SQL Management Studio: found here Shavlik Protect Database Maintenance - Purging or Cleaning Up a Large Database and that has done it.

So, hopefully the above along with all my config changes described earlier will make all the difference.

Thanks all.

• 8. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
                        aShen SupportEmployee

Hi dharmatma,

Thank you for letting us know your progress. Regarding the following:

• When I look at the Patches folder C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console\Patches I see over 1600 items and many of them are over 2 years old. And that folder is 69gb. Is this normal?

These should be all the patches you've ever downloaded with Shavlik. You could delete all of or most of the patches from the folder if you need space.  Patches required in deployment will be downloaded again when needed. You should also disable predictive patch downloads in Tools > Operations > Downloads too.  This could be downloading a lot of patches.

Glad to be able to help!

Best regards

Jo

• 9. Re: Running out of space on Protect server
                          dharmatma Rookie

Thanks Jo. I turned off predictive patches and cleaned up that patch folder some. Between all the advice and steps taken to clean up the drive, I believe I've got things set where the space won't get eaten up in a few months going forward.

I appreciate your help!

Dharmatma