3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 11:16 AM by cwinning

Keeping Software Up To Date

jfincher Rookie

I'm curious if Protect can keep software up to date that is within its software distribution catalog.

Currently shavlik will update a software within the same major release example 1.0.X, but will not continue patch software if the version switches to 2.0.X

I'm aware that you can set it software distribution, but trying to keep from deploying all software in the list to only the machines that have the software already. Something like the software must already exist and be below this X version before deploying the new software version. I know this can be done with a custom patch/software deployment but is it possible without having redo all the work that shavlik has already done? If not is there anyway to tell what shavlik is using for the command line switches to install it?

• 1. Re: Keeping Software Up To Date
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on what Protect can and cannot happen to keep products at the latest major versions.  There are some 3rd party products that release updates as major version updates, but the majority of products do not. This function isn't available through the UI or by command line switches.

May I suggest a Feature Request?

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Keeping Software Up To Date
            jfincher Rookie

Hello Charles,

Thank you for the reply. I guess when you say the function doesn't exist for command line it kind of confuses me a bit. If we take the wireshark installer for instance. If you manually install/upgrade it you will have multiple options. but when it's pushed out via Shavlik it will install/upgrade silently. There has to be some type of command line switches involved in that doesn't it? or do ya'll some sort of answer file that setup that I am unaware of?

Thanks,

John

• 3. Re: Keeping Software Up To Date
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

We use install switches supported by the vendors patch installer to install patches silently, this data is in the data files create by our Content Team. Admins are not able to change or modify the switches used to install the patches since the data files are obfuscated.  There truly isn't a hidden method here to do what you want.  You can use Software Distribution or possible manually create some custom patches.  Neither option is going to allow full automation.

Thanks,

Charles