4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 6:30 AM by cwinning

Deploying patches to a VM fails - "Virtual deployment failed"

PaulFreedman Apprentice

We upgraded our Shavlik server to 9.2.0 Build 5119, since this we are no longer able to deploy patches to virtual machines. It fails with status " Virtual deployment failed"

If I check the logs I also see "Virtual deployment error 95". I can still deploy patches to physical machines but 95% of our servers have been added as VM's on this instance on Shavlik.

I have removed the vCenter Server and all VM's, and then re-added but I am still facing the same issue. There has been no other changes made to any accounts or the Shavlik server.

Are there any know issues with the latest build?

• 1. Re: Deploying patches to a VM fails - "Virtual deployment failed"
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Scans and deployments to virtual machines are working in Protect 9.2.5119, no known defects at the moment.  We may need you to run debug code with increased tracing in it to determine the root cause.  I would suggest opening a case with Support and supply them with all your logs after a deployment attempt.  You could reference this thread in the case.

I'm sure nothing has changed on your side, but I would suggest verifying the following:

• Supply the username only when providing a local administrator account.  Do not add .\ or a workgroup name\.
          • Supply domain\username when providing a domain account.
          • Verify the account you are using is not locked out.

Thanks

Charles

• 2. Re: Deploying patches to a VM fails - "Virtual deployment failed"
            cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that I've been assigned to the case as an escalation point.  It looks like the logs you attached are not verbose.  I believe the tech involved is requesting new logs capturing the issue after setting the logging level to All in Tools > Options > Logging. These logs will help us understand more about where the failure is occurring which in turn will help us create debug if needed.

Thanks,

Charles

• 3. Re: Deploying patches to a VM fails - "Virtual deployment failed"
              PaulFreedman Apprentice

Thanks Charles,

As requested the new logs were uploaded yesterday.

• 4. Re: Deploying patches to a VM fails - "Virtual deployment failed"
                cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I just read your note on the case, it looks like a proxy modification corrected the issue.  To my knowledge, there have been no changes to the requirement for patch deployments to virtual machines since Protect 9.1.  Glad to see this issue resolved.

For other customer, we performed this test to verify Protect can connect to the virtual

1. Download Psexec at http://live.sysinternals.com/psexec.exe

2. Open a new command Prompt Window.

3. Change directories to the one holding psexec.exe

4. Run the command: psexec.exe -i -s "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

5. A new Internet Explorer (IE) window will pop up and this is IE running as Local System. In that window, go to the following url:

Copy and paste FQDN for the vCenter hosting the client machine like this:

HTTPS://servername.domain.com

You should either be prompted to sign-in or see a page to install vSphere.  Any connection issues would indicate a proxy or firewall issue.

Thanks,

Charles

1 of 1 people found this helpful