5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 6:10 AM by cwinning

File Download Error during refresh

PaulFreedman Apprentice

When I start a refresh of the files prior to creating a new Patch group I am receiving the following:

Error: File not downloaded: WindowsPatchData.zip

Error reason: An exception occurred during a WebClient request.: http://xml.shavlik.com/data/WindowsPatchData.zip

All of the other files are downloaded successfully? I've managed to manually download on the server and put in the DataFiles folder but would like to know how to resolve this going forward.

Thanks

• 1. Re: File Download Error during refresh
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The call to download should be a normal web call.  You may want to take a look at your proxy and firewall logs to see if anything is being blocked on your side.  It could be an issue where the connection isn't establishing fast enough or the initial web call is being blocked on your side.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: File Download Error during refresh
            PaulFreedman Apprentice

Hi Charles,

I'll take a look but I can connect and download via IE on the patch server so nothing can be being blocked?

• 3. Re: File Download Error during refresh
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

There is a difference between Protect downloading and you manually downloading.  Protect uses the System Account to download patches, it also using whatever proxy information is set in Tools > Options > Proxy.

This is a closer test: Run Internet Explorer as Local system use the following steps:

1. Download Psexec.exe (sysinsternals tools)

2. Open a new command Prompt Window.

3. Change directories to the one holding psexec.exe

4. run the command:

psexec.exe -i -s "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

5. A new Internet Explorer (IE) window will pop up and this is IE running as Local System.

Try to download:  http://xml.shavlik.com/data/WindowsPatchData.zip

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: File Download Error during refresh
                PaulFreedman Apprentice

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the late reply! I'm still facing the same issue, again I've manually downloaded the zip file but this time no additional MS patches have been downloaded - the latest one I can find in the patch view is 13/09/2016.

I followed your steps above but I get  - This page cannot be displayed when running as local system (I tried adding proxy in for this and it still failed).

I have checked the proxy setting within Shavlik and Use Proxy is ticked and the test succeeds.

What else can I do to resolve this issue?

• 5. Re: File Download Error during refresh
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The test above is key, it mimics the download from Protect.  I would suggest taking a look at you proxy\firewall to see where the traffic is being stopped.

Thanks,

Charles