5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 6:25 AM by cwinning

How to remove Agents - after machine is gone

Rookie

I have had several machines decomm'd, when updating a policy template / update agents. these non existent machines still show up during the agent update process. They are no longer in Shavlik  - yet Shavlik continues to communicate with these non existent Agents. How do I remove Agents from Shavlik where the machines no longer exist?

• 1. Re: How to remove Agents - after machine is gone
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Trying going to View > Machines and delete it from this view.  It should prompt to uninstall the agent, try - fail, then remove the machine from the view.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: How to remove Agents - after machine is gone
            Rookie

Hi Charles,

Therein lies the rub...the machines no longer exist on the machine group view or in "machine view". The Servers where removed from the groups I had them in some time ago - it would appear "removing" from a machine group does not prompt for an agent removal - where "deleting" from the "machine view" does prompt for agent removal...which I guess would allow for moving machines from one group to another.

The only time I ever see these servers anymore is when I update policy or templates and then update the Agents. The check process runs, it fails to connect to the non-existent machines as one would expect.

It's as though there is a list of machines that have Agents deployed that is separate from the actual list of machines.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to remove Agents - after machine is gone
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello Joe,

Yeah, removing them from a Machine Group wouldn't work, but removing them from View > Machine should.  What version of Protect are you running?  Version and Build number can be found in Help > About.  I would like to attempt to recreate the issue.

I should have an update my Monday.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: How to remove Agents - after machine is gone
                Rookie

Shavlik Protect Standard 9.2.0 Build 4918.

I do believe it's working as it should - never gave Agent removal a second thought after simply removing the machines from the Machine Groups, figuring if the machine no longer existed it would stop trying to check in with the Agent at some point.

The difference between the 2 methodologies makes sense as working in machine groups facilitates moving machines from group to group so deleting/installing the agent each time would be a hassle.

Was just hoping there would be a way to clean up the Agent list - looks as though I need to rebuild the group under a new name.

Thanks Charles!

• 5. Re: How to remove Agents - after machine is gone
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I agree, this is currently working as designed and I'm failing to find a new method to get this accomplished.  It's possible this will make a good feature request for a future version though.  ☺

Submit a Feature Request

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Thanks,

Charles