7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 6:47 AM by cwinning

RealPlayer support

rbabcock Apprentice

The latest version of RealPlayer that you support seems to be 18.1.3.100.  That's newer than listed in your product support list, but there are newer versions.  I can't find standalone installers for anything newer, only a stub that downloads an installer.  Has Real stopped making these available?  That would explain why you don't supported anything newer and give yet another reason to hate RealPlayer.

• 1. Re: RealPlayer support
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

We currently support RP18-004  QRP1813100, we are releasing RP18-005 today which is the most up to date version.

Thank you,

Charles

• 2. Re: RealPlayer support
            rbabcock Apprentice

Thanks, I think.  Now I have to deploy this turkey.  The installer still only works when an admin is logged in (not your fault), and none of our users are admins.  So I do VNC logins to multiple idle machines, then push with Protect.  It's somewhat quicker than doing manual installs.

• 3. Re: RealPlayer support
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

You could try updating them by installing the Software Distribution version of the patch, it should be the full 65MB installer.  Plus, all deployments run as the System Account so permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Here's a guide:  Ivanti Patch for Windows Servers Software Distribution Best Practices And Informational Guide

The patch would be: RP18-005 QRP1815699N  (any QNumber that ends with N will install a product)

Test this on a machine to see how it goes.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: RealPlayer support
                rbabcock Apprentice

If I scan a machine with outdated RealPlayer with my RealPlayer-only template, both the N and non-N versions of RP18-005 trigger as expected.  They both use the same 65MB patch file (I turned on display of the downloaded file name with the column chooser to check).

I uninstalled RP on one machine and scanned; as expected, only the N version triggers.  I deployed with no one logged on to the target.  The installer uses 0.03 sec of CPU time and then just sits there.  That's what I see with upgrades as well.

Logged in as a non-admin user, manual run as administrator doesn't work - says I don't have sufficient rights.  (Also can't uninstall.)  This isn't the only program I've ever seen that can only be installed from an admin login, but it's pretty rare.

We disable switch-user (which might work for this), so I don't just have to find idle machines, they have to not have a user logged on.

I noticed on my test machine that, after Real's indecision on whether they wanted to be RealTimes with RealPlayer or RealPlayer with RealTimes, they didn't clean up the installed programs list and both names were there.  I wonder how many more of those I have...

• 5. Re: RealPlayer support
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

FYI:  If you want to install new product or upgrade using Software Distribution type patches, you should be using a Patch Group that only contains patches with QNumbers that end with N.  This will lesson the confusion of what is being offered.

To my knowledge, the System Account (protect uses) should be able to install Real Player. Test this on one of the target machines by doing this:

1. Download psexec (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx)

2, Open a command prompt and navigate to the extracted folder. Run psexec.exe to open cmd.exe with -i -s as depicted below:

psexec.exe cmd.exe -s -i

In the new command prompt that opens, navigate to the where the RealPlayer installer is located and run this command:

RealTimes-RealPlayer1815699.exe /S /v /qn

This will effectively launch the installer using the SYSTEM account using the switches for a silent deployment. If it doesn't look like it's installing..

Run the installer with no switches from the CMD running as the System account.  What do you see?

If this fails then we can safely say the installer require elevated privileges beyond the System Account.  If that is the case, we will most likely pull support for it.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: RealPlayer support
                    rbabcock Apprentice

With a non-admin user logged in, I only get system access if I run psexec from an elevated cmd prompt.  Task manager then shows SYSTEM as the user and I have write access to c:\windows\system32.  When I run the Real installer from this cmd window with no args, I get:

As a restricted user, you do not have adequate Windows operating system rights to use this program to install software.  Please contact your system administrator for help.

The descriptive text you display for patches in Protect used to warn that RealPlayer might have problems if an admin was not logged in.  This is far from a new problem.

• 7. Re: RealPlayer support
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I've been researching the issue and I have been unable find a solution to your issue without allowing more user permissions.

Thanks,

Charles