9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 7:48 AM by cwinning

Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x

Thom.Turner Rookie

Hello,

I am trying to update Flash across multiple workstations however Shavlik displays 3 different flash updates, PPAPI, Plugin and active_x. How do i discover which one is relevant to what I have installed?

Thanks,
      Thom

• 1. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Shavlik Protect only shows missing patches that are required on the target machine.  You should deploy all of them.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
            Thom.Turner Rookie

Hi Charles,

This is what i thought but I am not convinced by what I am seeing.

Below is a screenshot of the installed app in control panel .

Installed_Apps.png

However when I run a scan where software distribution is ticked and there is no filtering, i get presented back with updates for firefox, java, Air, 7Zip etc.

Software_Distribution.png

Any ideas why?

• 3. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

This "software distribution is ticked" is key.  Enabling this will scan for products not installed on your target machines, so what you are seeing are product installers and not updates.  The way you control Software Distribution items is through Patch Group, no other filtering will affect what is scanned for when this option is enabled.

This may help:  Ivanti Patch for Windows Servers Software Distribution Best Practices And Informational Guide

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
                Thom.Turner Rookie

Hi Charles,

Thanks for this. I shall remove the Software distribution option.

The issue I have is that Shavlik pushes me to know what to scan for, what is missing and what version to install. Its up to me to select the patches, add them to a patch group, then scan machines. However if I have multiple machines with different software installed how can I streamline this process? I basically just want to ensure all software in my environment is on the latest version.

• 5. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The Security Patch and WUScan templates (and most customer templates not using Software Distribution) will only show patches that are required on the target machine.  Every patch detected missing are for products installed and are truly missing (barring a data issues).  In other words, you don't need to decide what is requires on the target machines, Protect does it for you.  Aside from testing the patches before deploying them out to all of your machines, you should be able to deploy all of these patches without having to manually sift through them.

There are caveats of course, not all customers want to install all patches even if they are truly required on the targets. This can be due to incompatibility issues with legacy software or or other environmental issues.

I would suggest using the WUScan Template to scan for Security and Non-Security patches.  The results will only list what is required on the targets,

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
                    Thom.Turner Rookie

Hi Charles,

But these scan don't upgrade software versions, for example Winzip 18 to the latest version, Winzip 20.

I want to scan a machine group and only see machines that require an update. I don't want to manually add winzip 21 to a patch group. I want software updates to work the same way as security patches, just like the WU scan you mention above. Otherwise its a manual step, relaying on me to A) know when a new version is released, B) Manually amend a patch group.

• 7. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I focusing more on non-major version upgrading, there is no easy answer to this.  You will have to create a Scan Template for patch scanning and another for upgrading products between major versions.  Unfortunately, you will need to use a Patch Group if you want to scan and auto-deploy the missing updates when including Software Distribution items.  And because of this, it won't be a fully automatic process.

Thanks,

Charles

• 8. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
                        Thom.Turner Rookie

Many thanks Charles. I will submit an improvement request.

• 9. Re: Flash Update - PPAPI, Plugin or Active_x
                          cwinning CommunityTeam

You're welcome, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Charles