8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 12:33 PM by smirk

    Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account

    Mizicke5273 Rookie

      Issues Caused by Missing Browse Credentials

       

      I'm getting an error when Scheduling a Patch Deployment after changing the Credentials to access vCenter.  The Scan Summary shows "Warning:  No machines were found in this scan".  When I click "View errors", I see "Invalid credential for 'vCenter Server Name' (Not Recorded) in Machine Group 'Machine Group Name'".  I've already read through the Document linked above on the Shavlik Community but it does not apply.  The Browse Credentials are already listed in the Machine Group for the VM Client; that was the first thing checked  I've tried re-adding the vCenter Server, re-creating the Machine Group, but nothing helps.  If I run an immediate Patch Deployment, all works fine; it is only when scheduling a Patch Deployment that it fails.  So I know the Credentials work fine, a Snapshot was created utilizing the new Credentials during the immediate Patch Deployment.

       

      Any help is appreciated.

      Thanks.

        • 1. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
          cwinning CommunityTeam

          Hello,

           

          It would seem the scheduler is unable to use (decrypt) the browse credentials. Have you tried deleting and then re-creating the credentials you are setting as the Browse credentials?  This is the first thing I would try.

           

          Thanks,

          Charles

          • 2. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
            Mizicke5273 Rookie

            I just tried to re-create the Credentials and it is still failing.  To note, I have the same Account assigned to the "Scheduled Console Scans/Operations Credential" as the vCenter Brows Credentials.  This account is also set as the Default Credentials as well.  Will this have any affect?

            • 3. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
              cwinning CommunityTeam

              Hello,

               

              The account set for the Scheduled Console Scans only needs to be admin on the Protect server.  Setting it as the default would not cause an issue.  Gathering logs and opening a support case would be advisable, this way we can see what is failing from the logs. 

               

              1. If you are unable to set logging via the GUI see this doc: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-22938

              2. Close the Protect GUI.

              3. Stop the following services

                   a. Shavlik Protect Console Service

                   b. ST Remote Scheduler Service (In 9.2, the ST Remote Scheduler Service is no longer used on the console. You do not need to stop this service if using 9.2)

              4. Delete all the logs from

                   a.  Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, Server 2008, Server 2012: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

              5. Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

              6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please document steps to reproduce.  In this case, please do the following:  Create a new Machine Group and add 1 machine to it.  Set Browse and Admin credentials to the group.  Setup a scan to run in 10 minutes from the group.  Wait for it to fail.  Screenshots from the Machine Group would be good.

                   a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

              7. Open a case with support:  Support Portal  Zip and attach the logs to the case once it's created.


              Let me know if you have any questions.


              Thanks,

              Charles

              • 4. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
                Mizicke5273 Rookie

                Thank you for your assistance.  I will open a support case.  Have a good one!

                • 5. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
                  Rookie

                  Having the same issue.  Did you get a resolution??

                  • 6. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
                    Mizicke5273 Rookie

                    I've got a Support Case opened and still working on the issue; had to post pone the troubleshooting for a bit.  I have narrowed down the cause of my issue to the Credentials assigned to the  "Scheduled Console Scans/Operations Credential" Account on on the “Manage ->Scheduled Console Tasks” screen.  So you may want to check there if you are having the same issues. 

                    • 7. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
                      Mizicke5273 Rookie

                      After working with Support, it was determined I had to enable Roles in User Role Assignment.  I then had to log into the new Account on the Shavlik Server to create and configure the Credentials under it's own account.  Support stated this was due to how Microsoft's scheduler utilizes credentials. 

                      • 8. Re: Credential Issue After Update vCenter Account
                        smirk Rookie

                        I was having a similar problem with certain OU's in AD not enumerating when I attempted to scan them.  I dont see the solution anywhere else, so ill post it here in hopes it helps others in the future. 

                         

                        Certain character in an OU name may not enumerate through LDAP.  For instance:

                        "Servers - Test/Dev" will not enumerate, and therefore no severs will get discovered and scanned.

                        "Servers - TestDev" will work just fine. 

                         

                        the "/" is not an acceptable character.  There are likely other special characters that may cause an error.