5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 7:32 AM by cwinning

Patches will not download to the workstation

Rookie

I am loading Shavlik on a new domain.  From the console I scan the workstation and can see the patches it needs. I "Download" the patches to the console and the arrow turns green.

I then select the patches to push. Right Click. The console appears to be pushing the patches and after about 20 seconds says ... Executed 0 of 3 failed

I went to the workstation (Win 7) and looked for ProPatches folder.  The folder is there (with a lock icon) and only the schedule folder is in the ProPatches folder.

There is not a cls.log file and no patches. This is Shavlik 9.2

1. I have turned off the Windows Firewall on the workstation

2. I have turned off the antivirus

3. I made sure the deployment template was ... used distribution server

4. I made sure that WMI service was running

5.  HLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system, LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy = 1

6. I am logged into the domain

7. The Shavlik service account has local administrator rights

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Patches will not download to the workstation
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

"I made sure the deployment template was ... used distribution server"

You need to make sure the Distribution Server is synced before attempting the deployment.  Downloading the patch to the Protect console doesn't make it available to the Distribution Server until the sync happens.  You can run this sync manually from Tools > Operations > Distribution Servers or wait for the scheduled sync to run.  If you prefer not to wait for a sync then use a Deployment Template that is not setup to use a Distribution Server share.

FYI:  The WMI service isn't used for Patch scan or deployment.  =)

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Patches will not download to the workstation
            Rookie

I made sure the deployment template was

I changed the deployment template to console push but I am still getting the same results.

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Patches will not download to the workstation
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Not without logs, it could be anything at this point.  It would be a good idea to open a case with support.

1. If you are unable to set logging via the GUI see this doc: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-22938

2. Close the Protect GUI.

3. Stop the following services

a. Shavlik Protect Console Service

b. ST Remote Scheduler Service (In 9.2, the ST Remote Scheduler Service is no longer used on the console. You do not need to stop this service if using 9.2)

4. Delete all the logs from

a.  Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, Server 2008, Server 2012: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

b.  Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

5. Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please document steps to reproduce.

a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

b. On the target system please zip and send a copy of the entire C:\Windows\ProPatches folder and its contents (you can leave out the Patches sub-folder).

7. Zip and attach to the case.

Support Portal

Thanks,

Charles

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Patches will not download to the workstation
                Rookie

I was able to go to Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, Server 2008, Server 2012: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs and look at the logs.

I had a corrupt dll

I was looking for logs in the wrong place.

Thanks for your help

Chris

• 5. Re: Patches will not download to the workstation
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Good find, thanks for the follow-up on this.

Thanks,

Charles