5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 9:35 AM by cwinning

What to do with MS "convenience rollups"

Rookie

We keep our Windows 7 workstations patched on a monthly basis. Our machines are now showing CRUW-001 and CRUW-002 are missing. Are these roll-up packages redundant if the regular MS and MSWU patches are already installed?    If they are indeed redundant to regular patching, maybe the roll-up packages should not be included in WUscan Thanks

• 1. Re: What to do with MS "convenience rollups"
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

As far as I can see, this roll-up contains non-security patches so installing MS patches would affect whether this patch is require or not. Do these target machines have SP1 installed?  That is a prerequisite for the roll-up.

You can go to View > Patches and search the patch.  Highlight the patch and then click on the Patch Information tab below for detailed information on what we are scanning for.  Spot checking a target machine wouldn't be a bad ideas.

You could also open case with support and include the information from this document and we can verify whether you need it or not:  DPDTrace command line logging tool used for patch detection issues

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: What to do with MS "convenience rollups"
            Rookie

I could do those things. Meanwhile, I took grabbed image of a windows workstation that was fully patched through May 2016, with all MS, MSWU and CRWU-001, CRWU-002 installed.  In other words it was fully patched as of the end of May 2016. Ran a scan the after CRWU-003 was released.  The results showed missing MS and MSWU patches all with release dates of June 2016 along with CRWU-003 (released at the end of June) also showed as missing. So, I tried an experiment.  I installed CRWU-003 only, expecting it would install June's MS and MSWU patches.  Afterward, all the same MS and MSWU patches still showed as missing.  It seemed that CRWU-003 didn't make any difference.  What did it do?  So, it's pretty unclear what's going on and rather than trying to figure this out, shouldn't the developers explain what's going on?

• 3. Re: What to do with MS "convenience rollups"
              PaulFreedman Apprentice

The rollups have caused us problems as well, some of our virtual machines have had their static NIC config set to blank which isn't the best!

• 4. Re: What to do with MS "convenience rollups"
                cwinning CommunityTeam

yyzguy wrote:

I could do those things. Meanwhile, I took grabbed image of a windows workstation that was fully patched through May 2016, with all MS, MSWU and CRWU-001, CRWU-002 installed. In other words it was fully patched as of the end of May 2016. Ran a scan the after CRWU-003 was released. The results showed missing MS and MSWU patches all with release dates of June 2016 along with CRWU-003 (released at the end of June) also showed as missing. So, I tried an experiment. I installed CRWU-003 only, expecting it would install June's MS and MSWU patches. Afterward, all the same MS and MSWU patches still showed as missing. It seemed that CRWU-003 didn't make any difference. What did it do? So, it's pretty unclear what's going on and rather than trying to figure this out, shouldn't the developers explain what's going on?

What Scan Template are you using?  Make sure you are using the Security Patch or WUScan Template to reduce confusion for now.

Edit:  I think you meant CRUW-003, this was released June 22nd.  This is the MS article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608   As you can see, it doesn't include all possible Security and Non-Security patches.

Charles

• 5. Re: What to do with MS "convenience rollups"
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

PaulFreedman wrote:

The rollups have caused us problems as well, some of our virtual machines have had their static NIC config set to blank which isn't the best!

Yes, that is a known Microsoft issue with KB3125574:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

We highly recommend installing patches\updates to test machines before rolling out to production.

Charles