1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 1:44 PM by travisschuur

Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI

croth2 Apprentice

- Started up my test machine:  VM-SSD01
      - Check Programs and Features and I already have "Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2.4.194" installed via Shavlik update
      - - There actually is two showing in Programs and Features:
      - - - Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2.0.162
      - - - Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2.4.194

- So when software shows in Software Center it should show that it is already installed
      - Software Center is NOT showing the 12.2.4.194 software as "Installed" and is under "Available" for install
      - Software Center IS showing the 12.2.0.162 software as "Installed" and is under "Installed Software"

- To determine the actual version being recognized by web pages I checked:
      - - URL:  https://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
      - - It shows:  12.2.4r194 (which is 12.2.4.194)
      - - Also can see this with Registry Key:
      - - - Key:  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Shockwave 12\currentupdateversion]

- Checked the registry for the Detection Method for 12.2.4.194 and couldn't find the key:
      - - Key:  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{C1F3739C-D31D-4062-8788-29261C4A2A68}]

- Checked the registry for the Detection Method for 12.2.0.162 and did find the key:
      - - Key:  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E38C529D-DD73-4002-8489-E09CEBD9BF32}]

- Found a different entry I have never seen before
      - - Key:  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Shockwave Player]
      - - This is from the EXE version of the Adobe Shockwave Installer that Shavlik is using to install updates

- Had to change the detection method to use:
      - - Key:  "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Shockwave 12\currentupdateversion]"
      - - Value:  Version
      - - Data:  1224194

- Now the application is being detected as installed

- Checked to see if at least the MSI could uninstall the Shavlik updated shockwave plugin
      - IT CANNOT, Says this is only valid for currently installed applications

- The "Installed Rules" for the Shavlik update are only checking for the EXE version of the registry entries:

<lar:Or>

<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Shockwave Player" Value="DisplayVersion" RegType32="true" Comparison="GreaterThanOrEqualTo" Data="12.2.4.194" />

</lar:Or>

- I didn't go through all of the "Installable Rules" but I assume the issue will be the same as I described in my Flash Player post.  You can find that here:  Adobe Flash Player 21.0.0.213 NPAPI not detected with MSI product code

- You guys need to evaluate how you're doing the Shockwave install due to everything I have mentioned above, additionally, Shavlik is the reason I have two entries in the Programs and Features, as when Shavlik updates Shockwave the previous version is not updated or removed.  The entries stay in the registry because the MSI/EXE don't cross mingle, nor do they uninstall each other prior to updating.  Maybe more explicitly stated Adobe is actually the problem, but I see the issue due to Shavlik using the EXEs instead of the MSIs, which in an enterprise environment I'd think the MSI deployments are more common.

• 1. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

According to the Content Team, they will be looking into resolving this in Friday's Shavlik Patch content release.  Thanks for the post.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
            croth2 Apprentice

Thanks, I'll be anxiously awaiting the updated metadata to see how things go.

I also would ask that you folks as a company evaluate either:

1. Using the MSI for your update deployments.  Enterprise environments presumably with be taking advantage of the MSI property capabilities and are using the MSI for initial deployment of the software as it allows more customization that then EXE which is basically just "/S" for commandline.
            2. Creating two separate Shockwave (flashplayer, etc) updates so that each one only looks for either the EXE or the MSI so that they actually upgrade instead of installing a second version of the software.

In my testing it seems the MSI upgrades older MSI as well as the EXE upgrades previous EXE without duplicating or adding multiple versions to the computer, but that is not the case in MSI/EXE or EXE/MSI update scenarios.  Thanks for the consideration.

• 3. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
              croth2 Apprentice

The email Friday regarding updates did not contain anything about Shockwave.  Nor did I get notified of any metadata updates when I launched Patch in SCCM this morning.  Update?

• 4. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                travisschuur SupportEmployee

I found out that due to issues found by our internal QA, we were not able to relase the .msi version of the Adobe Shockwave on Friday. I will give you an update as soon as I hear anything further.

• 5. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                  croth2 Apprentice

So they are looking to create a separate package that will handle the MSI version of the Shockwave and actually install that version or are they just adding in detection logic for the EXE?

• 6. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI

It looks like we will be creating a separate package that will detect both the exe and the msi version, and then install the msi version. The targeted ETA for this is Friday.

• 7. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                      croth2 Apprentice

That sounds promising, but if it is as you say, that may not work right either.  If the EXE version is detected and then it is updated with the MSI version I believe it will have two different entries in the Programs and Features.  This could be avoided though if some sort of uninstall is done then the MSI is installed.  If an uninstall is not done, may be best to have EXE detect and update EXE and MSI detect and update MSI.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

Wonder if Flash Player is the same way?  I'll have to revisit my Flash Player post.

• 8. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI

I just found out this will have to wait until next week due to all of the Adobe Flash zero day patches that came out yesterday/today.

• 9. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                          croth2 Apprentice

Argh this is frustrating!  I am weeks behind deploying this update because I can't confirm the Application will work properly with Shavlik's configuration.  While I appreciate the zero day stuff, this has been 10 days with this explicit thread started, plus the original Flash thread where we started discussing Shockwave was April 20th!  So overall this has been almost 3 and a half weeks!  Please please please get this done!  I need to deploy this months patches and would prefer to do them as a whole group with this included.

• 10. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                            croth2 Apprentice

12 days later and nothing released that I noticed.  update?

• 11. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                              croth2 Apprentice

I saw there was updated Shockwave catalogs released last night.  One for EXE and one for MSI.  I'll try and test them out today and tomorrow and report back.

• 12. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                                croth2 Apprentice

I am in need to an older version of the EXE installer for Shockwave.  I don't have it in my catalog anymore and can't find it downloaded to my machines anywhere.  Preferably I am looking for version, 12.2.3.183.  I found archived installers for flash, but not shockwave.

Trying to setup a test where:  Initial install was MSI 12.2.0.162, Shavlik EXE updated to 12.2.3.183, creating two entries in registry and Programs and Features.  Then run the newly published EXE and MSI updaters from Shavlik.  Want to see if it gets rid of one of the two or if it just updates both leaving me with two entries in Programs and Features.

Basically I need to know if I need to create other programs to clean up the old stuff or not and I'd like to test it myself.  If anyone has the download I could get from them it would be greatly appreciated.

• 13. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                                  dmart Rookie

The MSI didn't work for me as it's querying HKLM\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 12 and the it's actually installed at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Shockwave 12.

• 14. Re: Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 not being detected with MSI
                                    croth2 Apprentice

dmart it is working for me.  I have 12.2.0.162 installed.  Adobe Shockwave 12.2.4.194 MSI shows as installable and installs properly.  In Programs and Features I have only one Adobe Shockwave and it is the 12.2.4.194 version.  I also verified the MSI Product codes are changing and not being left behind when updating.

12.2.0.162:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E38C529D-DD73-4002-8489-E09CEBD9BF32}

12.2.4.194:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{C1F3739C-D31D-4062-8788-29261C4A2A68}

From the Installable Rules it appears what your saying is true, but what you may have missed, if I understand this properly, is the RegType32="true" part which I believe tells it to look in the Wow6432Node.

Installable Rules:

<lar:And>
                                        <lar:Not><bar:RegSz Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Adobe\Shockwave 12\currentupdateversion" Value="" Comparison="EqualTo" Data="1224194" RegType32="true" /></lar:Not>

<bar:RegSz Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Adobe\Shockwave 12\InstallType" Value="" Comparison="EqualTo" Data="ATT" RegType32="true" />

<bar:WindowsVersion Comparison="GreaterThan" MajorVersion="6" MinorVersion="0" ProductType="1" />
                                    </lar:And>

I am more concerned with that it says EqualTo instead of LESS THAN.  Theoretically this will show as INSTALLABLE if/when I get a newer version of Shockwave and the version is no longer Equal To 1224194.

1 2 Previous Next