5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 11:17 AM by cwinning

Filter Patches by Operating System?

tarricop Rookie

In 9.1 I had setup smart filters to only show the patches for the operating systems I use.  Now in 9.2, Operating System does not seem to be an option in the smart filters anymore.  I use Shavlik offline so I only want to download and burn to disk those patches needed for the offline systems.  So in 9.2 when I select a patch to download, it grabs the files for all operating systems.   Is there a workaround to allow me to just download specific OSs?  Thanks.  Paul

• 1. Re: Filter Patches by Operating System?
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Have you tried downloading based on Q\KB in View > Patches?  Patches are normally broken out for OS by Q\KB and not the Bulletin ID.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Filter Patches by Operating System?
            tarricop Rookie

Thanks, but that's how I'm doing it. If you notice in your screenshot, all of the OSs show in the right of the window.  I enter the Qnumber and then if I select one of the qnumbers and choose download, it downloads all the OSs.  Based on the manual snippet below, it downloads just those from machines that exist in my networked environment.  That doesn't help me because my standalone systems are different so I want to just choose to download, for example, the patches for 2008r2, 2008 Ent, Win7-32, etc.  After it downloads all those extra patches, I can manually select the ones I need to burn to disc to move to the other system, but that's even more time consuming.  The feature was obvious in 9.1 to allow a Smart Filter by OS, but that's gone.  I was hoping they just moved it or there's a workaround.

I found this in the 9.2 Manual (p 207) and it tells me that the sw downloads only patches for the machines you have defined.

"When you initiate a download by right-clicking one or more patches, Shavlik Protect will immediately begin the download process. The program will automatically detect the operating system languages used on your managed machines and then download only those language versions of the patch file that are needed. In many cases, all that is needed is a single universal patch package file that can be used by all languages. If you do not have managed machines that require a particular patch, the program will use the Patch View download status indicator language option as the default.

If you initiate the patch download from the Patch Information tab in Scan View, Machine View or Patch View, you will have the opportunity to manually select the individual files you want to download. Simply click the Download link that is next to the desired language. Each language version of the patch must be downloaded one at a time."

• 3. Re: Filter Patches by Operating System?
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

If I download MS16-035, specifically Q3135983, it will only download 1 patch for all of the OS's listed.  There are going to be variations and caveats to this depending on the patch, but downloading the patch by Q\KB should only download the patch files only needed for the OS listed on the right and normally this is 1 file. 

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Filter Patches by Operating System?
                tarricop Rookie

I appreciate your willingness to help, but most Q numbers have multiple files by Operating System and architecture.  Like this for Q3145739. So you are downloading 1 patch because you have one OS.  If you have a 32 and 64 bit Win7 and 2008 Server, you'd be download four files for the same KB number.  My problem is still the same, I can no longer filter the patches by OS to only download the patches for the OS' in use on my standalone network.  Shavlik made it easier to download the patches you need for the machines in the environment but made it harder for those who need to use it for disconnected (air gapped) secure networks.

• 5. Re: Filter Patches by Operating System?
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I think we are fighting against product design in 9.2 at this point, I don't have a workaround.

My only suggestion would be to submit a feature request.

Feature Request.

Thanks,

Charles