1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 10:46 AM by croth2

Adobe Flash Player 21.0.0.213 NPAPI not detected with MSI product code

croth2 Apprentice

So we deployed updates via SCCM Software Updates and included Shavlik Patch updates.  This included "Adobe Flash Player 21.0.0.213 Firefox" in Shavlik naming.  All seems well with the deployment.  I go ahead with going to Adobe's Distribution download site where they provide the MSI files for install.  I need to create an updated Application for installing Flash Player NPAPI during OSD or for manual installations.  All standard and normal done this tons of times.  I load this into SCCM as per normal with MSI and set Detection Method for MSI Product code as the wizard does when it reads an MSI.  I deploy this application to a machine which had Shavlik update it from 20.0.0.306 to 21.0.0.213.  I EXPECT to see the Application be DETECTED since it is already installed, but IT DOES NOT DETECT IT.

Strange.  So I start investigating and look in Registry for the MSI Product Code key, "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8AA0E56A-5F80-413C-863D-67ED1E0DAC55}]", and to my amazement IT DOES NOT EXIST.  How can this be?

I continue digging and find a key I have NEVER seen before from and Adobe product, "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player NPAPI]", with the current version "21.0.0.213" for the Version value.  I can only presume this is Shavlik throwing its own thing in there....?  Just very odd and don't understand why it is there.

What the hell is this doing here and why is the normal MSI Product Code not working?  Now I need to change my detection methods to hunt for something that is not the enterprise deployment method for Adobe.  Additionally, the uninstall "msiexec /x {8AA0E56A-5F80-413C-863D-67ED1E0DAC55} /q" doesn't work because the MSI Product Code is not known.

I know I can always go and use the key, "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin]",  which is likely what I'll do, but why does it seem Shavlik is not using the Adobe provided installers and therefore the MSI Product code not showing as installed and is NOT capable of being used to uninstall?  This stinks.

FIX IT!

1 2 Previous Next