6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 9:53 PM by jdfoxmicro

Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 update failed error 1603

jdfoxmicro Rookie

Hello,

Five of our computers with Acrobat Pro 11 are having problems getting updated.  The file Shavlik Protect sends is AcrobatUpd11014.msp.  In the Deployment Tracker, every day, it shows:

AcrobatUpd11014.msp returned 1603

I can't find error 1603 in the documentation, and posts about it here refer to installing Shavlik Protect itself.

We tried manually updating Acrobat Pro on the affected workstations by going into the program itself, and choosing Update Acrobat from the program menu, and each one gave this error:

Error 1328.  Error applying patch to file C:\Config.Msi\XXXXXX.tmp.  It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch.  For more information, contact your patch vendor.

The only files I could find in Windows\Installer or Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$ related to Acrobat are from 2012.  Should I try deleting the $PatchCache$ folder, or does anyone have another suggestion?

Jeffrey Fox

• 1. Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 update failed error 1603
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Error 1603 is a generic installer error.  From the information here, it does look like the product is corrupt or there is left-over from previous installs.  It may be easier to uninstall the product, maybe perform a scrub (ccleaner or similar) then install the product again.  Or leave it uninstall if you don't need it.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 update failed error 1603
            Rookie

The PC was running v11.0.0. We were able to update it to v11.0.14 via download from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/11.x/11.0.14/misc/

however this required clicking 'Ignore' when the updater detected that the app had been updated by another source.

Whether Shavlik is able to update further remains to be determined.

• 3. Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 update failed error 1603
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

We fully support the updates, this issue is not something we have encountered in our testing.  We include all the switches to silently install the updates.  I also wasn't able to find anything searching through google.

Was the original install of Adobe Acrobat 11 purchased from a source other than Adobe?

Are you able to use the switches to upgrade without prompting?

Do you have a screenshot of the prompt?

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 update failed error 1603
                jdfoxmicro Rookie

Update:  I think the reason there might be a problem is these copies don't seem to be installed originally in the normal fashion. These are Dell computers that had it pre-installed.  Inside the program itself, you can't see the Serial Number, and the menu items regarding activation are grayed out.  That probably has something to do with it.

• 5. Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 update failed error 1603
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

judging from your earlier findings, you could be on to something there. A good test would be to attempt to install the update offered by Protect,using the install switches and running it as the System Account like we do.  This would be the closest thing to mimicking a deployment from Protect and a failure would help confirm your findings.

1. Download psexec (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx)

2. Open a command prompt and navigate to the extracted folder. Run psexec.exe to open cmd.exe with -i -s as depicted below:

psexec.exe cmd.exe -s -i

3. In the new command prompt that opens, navigate to where the Adobe installer is, the default location would be C:\Windows\ProPatches\Patches.

4. The tricky part is finding the correct install switches, I tend to look in the STDeployerCore.log located in the C:\Windows\ProPatches\Logs on the target machine.  Search for the word Executing. (it would be easier to delete the logs, then attempt to deploy the patch again to make finding the switches easier)

5. Run the patch from the System Account enabled CMD prompt.  This will effectively attempt the install using the SYSTEM account they same way Protect deployment run.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 update failed error 1603
                    jdfoxmicro Rookie

The computer that dvh updated using the .MSP file continued to fail updating through Shavlik once newer patches were introduced.

This problem applies to computers where Adobe was preinstalled by Dell, or provided through Dell Digital Delivery.  I found that with a new factory-wiped Dell with Dell Digital Delivery, the DDD application still downloads version 11.0.0, but then you can update it to the latest (now 11.0.17) from within the application.  But, on all the other computers where we were having problems, I had to download the 11.0.17 update MSP from Adobe and run it manually on each computer.  Only in this case will you have the opportunity to click Ignore when it comes up with Error 1328.  The update then completes successfully.  So, until 11.0.18 is released (if it ever is), we're good for now.

As for the overall solution:  If you order a Dell computer (or maybe from any other manufacturer) that offers Adobe Acrobat pre-installed, and you use Shavlik Protect, consider buying a volume license or subscription for Acrobat instead.  Of course, the current version (DC) may not have the problems we've had with version XI.  And, if it does, volume license and subscription deployments have their own challenges.  Best to test it with a test computer before mass deployment.