7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 1:59 PM by cwinning

High memory and CPU usage

mcvosi Rookie

Try to determine why the console service is using a lot of resources, even when I don't have any tasks or schedules running. I restart the service and all calms down again for a while.

• 1. Re: High memory and CPU usage
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

How much resources are you talking about?  Constant high CPU and high RAM being used?

Are you navigating in the GUI?  We load a lot into memory like View > Patches and View Machines to speed things up.

Do you have Agents? Distribution Servers?

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: High memory and CPU usage
            mcvosi Rookie

Over 1.5 GB RAM usage and over 50% of usage in a dual vCPU (service console only usage). It seems to be pretty constant. GUI is closed. Maybe 10-15 agents and no distribution servers.

• 3. Re: High memory and CPU usage
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

What version of Protect?  Also which process is using the CPU and RAM?  My 9.2.4988 is using zero CPU and 500MB of RAM idling as a reference.

Charles

• 4. Re: High memory and CPU usage
                mcvosi Rookie

The latest version. Service Host process (Shavlik Protect Console Service). At present time it's not using any CPU, but memory usage seems high (1.4 GB). How can I determine what's happening during those CPU spikes?

• 5. Re: High memory and CPU usage
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

This is the first question of this type, we're going to have to poke around.  Protect does many things in the background depending on what you have setup...  I don't think I want to go through all possible scheduled jobs and routines here.

Do other admins remote to the machine to use Protect?

Does the RAM use climb to 1.5GB by starting the console and not doing anything?

What are the various jobs you have scheduled?

Distribution Servers?

Predictive Downloads?

Cloud Syncs?

The list goes on.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: High memory and CPU usage
                    mcvosi Rookie

No other admins. If I launch the console the RAM utilization seems about the same. Just have a couple scan jobs that run on maybe a total of 50 machines (servers and workstations). No distribution servers. Not much else really...

• 7. Re: High memory and CPU usage
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

You could open a case with support and supply them with logs during the time it spikes on you.  The could tell us what is kicking off.  Otherwise, I'm mostly out of ideas here.

Thanks,

Charles