10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 6:26 AM by cwinning

Strange Scheduling Issue

skillian Rookie

Workstations on a certain segment of my network are acting strangely when I push patches. Typically I will schedule workstation patches to install at midnight, followed by a system reboot. Lately after I schedule patches on this segment, I can see in the event long that the patch installs start normally at midnight, then the computer seems to reboot prematurely, then the patch install and shavlik scheduled reboot start sometime the following day a few minutes after 12:00pm. I schedule other workstations on other segments of the network in the same deployment that do not have this issue.

These workstations are set up to pull time from the same DC as machines on other segments of the network. I've logged into several of the workstations that are having the issue to verify the time is not ahead 12 hours.

I cannot be certain, but I want to say this started around the time I upgraded to protect 9.2.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

• 1. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I'm not aware of any known issues.

"Lately after I schedule patches on this segment, I can see in the event long that the patch installs start normally at midnight, then the computer seems to reboot prematurely"

What are you deployment settings for the Post Reboot tab?  Screenshot?

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
            skillian Rookie

I'm using the standard deployment template for all workstations.

stddeploy.JPG

The group having the issue does use a piece of software that requires and old version of java. I'm not sure if that is related to the issue, but it is odd that this started happening after the upgrade to 9.2. We had patched these machines normally for years prior to that.

• 3. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Nope, we don't need Java.

We should keep in mind, assuming configuration in Protect are the same for the machine with the odd behavior and one's that work without issue, deployments should be running the same.  The only thing that would change is the patches applied to them.  I could see the deployment process attempting to install a patch and it is determined it needs to be installed at start up.  In this case, the deployment process would install all the patches it can then reboot and install the remaining patches.  I'm concerned about this "then the patch install and shavlik scheduled reboot start sometime the following day a few minutes after 12:00pm" shouldn't happen though...unless you have another scan and deployment scheduled to run again the next day.

On the systems with the issue, do you have Windows Update set to never check for updates?  Or is it enabled?

Are you running Protect 9.2.5046, if not you should upgrade since it includes many defect fixes.  http://rs.shavlik.com/downloads/ShavlikProtect_9.2.5046.exe

To delve deeper, we're going to need the entire C:\Windows\ProPatches folder (minus the patches) (zipped) so we can walk through one of these deployment.  We should be able to verify what happened and when it happened during the deployment process.  Creating a Support case may be warranted at this point.  Support Portal  If you do, please include a link to this thread so I can be assigned the escalation portion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
                skillian Rookie

Thanks! I will try the newest update and open a case if that does not resolve my issue.

• 5. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
                  jdfoxmicro Rookie

I had this exact same thing happen a few months ago, on version 9.2.  It was just one workstation out of 25.  I found it was an update to RealPlayer that somehow wasn't able to install correctly.  I didn't figure out why it waited 12 hours.  Maybe there is some sort of timeout to the installers.  I uninstalled RealPlayer, which the user didn't need, to work around the problem.

I know this is sort of a "me too!" post in that I don't have many specifics, but maybe you could check to see if there are any updates that are failing to install, and manually install them to see if that stops this peculiar behavior.

Jeffrey Fox

• 6. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
                    skillian Rookie

I thought I had identified a patch that was causing the issue, but even after excluding that one from the deployment, I had the same issue.

• 7. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
                      jdfoxmicro Rookie

Did you uninstall the affected software, or manually get the problematic patch installed?  If you just unselected it from deployment, maybe this only applies to future deployments, but the directive to install the patch is still left active on the workstation from the prior deployments.

Jeffrey Fox

• 8. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
                        JMcGregor Rookie

We are experiencing the very same thing currently. If a patch fails, it appears that it keeps trying for 12 hours and then finally reboots. Because we schedule the patches after hours, this reboot always happens in the middle of the day. We are currently on version 9.2.0 Build 5119.

• 9. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
                          JMcGregor Rookie

It looks as if our anti-virus was blocking the updates somehow. We have excluded the patches directory on the server and it's working now.

• 10. Re: Strange Scheduling Issue
                            cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Should have known, when nothing makes sense look to AV causing the issue.

Thanks for sharing.

Charles