3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 6:16 AM by cwinning

    Unable to install Shavlik Protect Agents after upgrade to 9.2

    Rookie

      I recently updated my Protect Cloud installation from v 9.1 to vs 9.2.0 build 4988.  Following the installation, I am unable to install agents either locally or via ProtectCloud.  I have tried to install agents via a "direct connection to the console" and by connecting to "the console through the cloud."

       

      The cloud installation accepts my activation key but the new computer does not show up on the console.  In the View->Event History, under Protect Cloud sync, I notice that there are 78 In progress sync messages without an "Ended" Date and Timestamp.

       

      When attempting to install via the direct method, I am unable to get the policy list via any of the authentication types (shared pass phrase, Windows authentication, or use current credentials).

        • 1. Re: Unable to install Shavlik Protect Agents after upgrade to 9.2
          cwinning CommunityTeam

          Hello,

           

          I would be more concerned about not be able to install agents on machine that are connected directly to the Protect console (non-cloud).  It's going to be near impossible to troubleshoot this without logs from the Protect console and from the target machine.  I would suggest opening a case with support and include the following information:

           

          Protect Console Logs:

           

          1. Please open the Protect GUI and then go to Tools > Options > Logging and change logging to “All” for both user interface and services. If logging is already set to All then skip to #6.

          2. Close the Protect GUI.

          3. Stop the following services

               a.Shavlik Protect Console Service

                b. ST Remote Scheduler Service

          4. Delete all the logs from

               a.  Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012 & Vista: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

               b.  Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

          5.  Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

          6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please document steps to reproduce.

          a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

          b. [Deployment issues only] On the target system please zip and send a copy of the entire C:\Windows\Propatches folder and its contents (you can leave out the Patches sub-folder).

          7. Zip and send all the logs.


          Protect Agent Logs:


          1. Open the agent policy assigned to the machine we are gathering logs from.

          2. Change the logging level to ‘All’ and Save and update Agents.  Choose to update agents if prompted.  If logging is already set to to All skip to #8.

          3. Go to the target machine, close the agent GUI and stop the services:

               o The services start with Shavlik or ST.

          4. Delete all the logs from:

               o Vista & Later: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

               o Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

          5. Start services.

          6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please note the steps to reproduce.

          7. Take applicable screenshots.

          8. Zip and send all the logs and screenshots. (from the previous specified folders above)


          To open a case: Support Portal


          Please refer to this thread in the case and let me know if you have any questions.


          Thanks,

          Charles


          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to install Shavlik Protect Agents after upgrade to 9.2
            Rookie

            The issue is now solved.  I believe my issue originated with a bad/old ST Root authority certificate.  I had to delete the existing certificate for the Shavlik server before I could successfully reinstall the console.  On one of my client machines, I had to do this as well.

             

            I had help from Geoffrey M. at Shavlik but this article provides some instruction on what I did.

             

            1.  So that I could continue to use my existing database,  started by I taking a  screenshot of my settings in the Database Setup Tool (Start->All Programs->Shavlik Protect->Database Setup Tool, Select 'Use an existing database' and then click Next, take a screenshot of the "SQL Database Configuration window"  You will need to point to this database when you reinstall Shavlik on the server.

             

            2.  Next I tried to reinstall Shavlik Protect but it wouldn't install because of a hidden file that I didn't delete the first time around.  These instructions should help get rid of the file on the server.

             

             

            How To: Completely Remove an Agent and All of Its Components

             

            3.  Finally I was able to install the Shavlik Protect on the server and the Agent on one of the clients.  On another client, I had to follow the instructions on Step 2 to allow me to successfully install the agent.

             

            (Thanks to cwinning and Geoffrey for helping me to resolve this issue).

            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unable to install Shavlik Protect Agents after upgrade to 9.2
              cwinning CommunityTeam

              Thank you for taking the time to post the workaround, I'm sure it will be helpful in the future.

               

              Thanks,

              Charles