4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 10:52 AM by jmjonsun

Newbie question -- automatically adding machines to machine groups?

Rookie

Hi everyone,  I'm pretty new to using Shavlik Protect and I'm trying to replace our old SCCM processes.

One of the ones that I'm a little stumped on is how to handle new machines\newly imaged machines in the most efficient manner possible.  I would like for our helpdesk to be able to install the agent manually which I know how to do, but what I can't figure out how to do is make sure that new machines are automatically placed in the proper machine group in Shavlik without having to manually update the machine group to look for new machines in a specific OU, etc. From there, is there some way to force machines meeting a certain criteria to get a specific agent policy?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Newbie question -- automatically adding machines to machine groups?
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

First, I want to make sure you understand an Agent isn't required to scan and deploy patches to a machine and Machine Groups are primarily used for agentless scans/deployments or to initially install agents on a machine(s). In other words, any scan.deploy action from a Machine Group will be bypassing the agent installed on the target machine.  Most customers will use one of the other unless using both make sense, like on laptops that are out in the field a lot.  So installing an agent on a machine and making sure it is in the proper Machine Group won't make much sense here.

For agentless scans/deployments through a Machine Group.  Placing machines in specific OU containers would be you best bet since Protect will enumerate the OU before scanning the machine group (agentless).  I know other customers have setup systems using 'Link to file' where the Machine Group would scan machines from a text files.  The caveat here is you would need to determine the best method to populating these text files.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Newbie question -- automatically adding machines to machine groups?
            Rookie

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the info.

I guess I should clarify...I'm using agent policies for scans and deployments, my machine groups are really just a way of organizing the groups by the policy they receive and also keeping track of machines that are missing the agent.  If running a scan enumerates any new machines from the OU, that should be good enough to do what I need, periodically.

• 3. Re: Newbie question -- automatically adding machines to machine groups?
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Thanks for the clarification, I agree using the OUs would be your best bet at this point.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Newbie question -- automatically adding machines to machine groups?
                Rookie

I ended up adding the machine to group in AD.  Then I created a powershell script that would extract group members to a text file.  Then I use Shavlik and modify machine group by linking file. So as long as your machines are in AD, they will be brought into Shavlik on your next patch scan.