3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 11:10 AM by cwinning

Best practice for automation of patch deployment

saltwater Rookie

What's the best practice when it comes to automating patch deployment? What are the options? How do you keep your scheduled scan and deployment on a monthly basis. I've noticed, from my test, that when you schedule a scan and patch deployment at every 3rd Monday of each month for the dev environment and 3 Wednesday of each month for QA/Prod environment, The 3rd Wednesday sometimes comes first depending on the month. How do most people handle this time of scenarios?

• 1. Re: Best practice for automation of patch deployment
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The above has always been a hurdle Protect 9.1 and previous version could not fully handle. In Protect 9.2, we added Patch Tuesday + X (days) Scheduling.  When scheduling console scans, you now have the ability to delay a recurring scan by a number of days to coincide with a regular event. For example, you might schedule a monthly patch scan to occur the day after Patch Tuesday by using the new Add delay (days) option.  Use the Daily option to schedule a task in conjunction with a regular monthly event. For example, you might schedule a monthly patch scan to occur the 3rd Monday of each month by specifying The Second Tuesday and then using the Add delay (days) option to delay the task by 6 days.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Best practice for automation of patch deployment
            saltwater Rookie

Hi Charles, I'm not sure that "Add Delay (Days)" would work - for this month anyways. For example, for December, the second Tuesday was on the 8th. The 3rd Monday for this month would fall on the 21st of Dec - 13 days later. Each month varies as well.

• 3. Re: Best practice for automation of patch deployment
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I meant 2nd Tuesday in my last post, but I get what you are saying.  We're not going to be able to handle this type of scheduling due to how the months/days play out.  We don't have an option to set it to a day in the 3 week of the month.

Charles