3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 7:52 AM by cwinning

Shavlik 9.2 - Issue with patches for Firefox and Adobe appearing for system that do not have these products installed

Rookie

After upgrading to shavlik 9.2 I'm having an issue that the system scan shows patches for products that are not installed on the OS. This is very similar to the question that is being asked in Problem with  FF10-024 QFF3617 after upgrade to 9.2

However I don't believe the answer provided is sufficient.

In Shavlik 9.1 the scan engine was intelligent enough to recognise when a product was not installed on a system and would therefore not give the patch for that product as needing to be installed. In Shavlik 9.2, according to the answer provided in the above discussion, this is not the case?

I would like to be able to keep a single patch group from a specific point in time that I can run against a range of machines having different software products installed. If I have one machine with .Net installed and another with firefox installed do I now need two separate patch groups explicitily specifying the products installed on the system?

I hope you can clear this up for me as the new patch discovery seems like a bug to me

Larry

• 1. Re: Shavlik 9.2 - Issue with patches for Firefox and Adobe appearing for system that do not have these products installed
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Larry,

The Patch Group trumps all other setting in the Scan Template.  In other words, include a Software Distribution item in the Patch Group and the scan engine will scan for it whether you have enable Software Distribution enable or not.  The change was made to reduce the guess-work out of Scan Template filtering and Patch Group combinations.  You can use the same Patch Group, but going forward you need to make sure your not adding Software Distribution (or other unwanted patches) items to it.  FF10-024 QFF3617 is marked as a Software Distribution item.

You can remove the Software Distribution items from the Patch Group by grouping by Patch Type Description, highlighting all of the Software Distribution items and then clicking on Remove Selected.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Shavlik 9.2 - Issue with patches for Firefox and Adobe appearing for system that do not have these products installed
            Rookie

Hi Charles,

All software distribution items have been removed from the patch group after sorting by the patch type description. Shavlik seems to be picking up the patches for different software and then marking these as software distribution items, therefore trying to push these items out to systems that do not have the software installed.

If this is the way you are now designing Shavlik then people will have big issues as this means we need to have different patch groups tailored specifically to what each machine has installed. By this I mean if one machine has firefox installed and another has adobe reader and firefox then we would need two different patch groups created. The first would need windows patches plus firefox, the second would need windows patches plus firefox plus adobe reader patches.This gets particularly messy as you have different matrix of products on different systems. For three different software products you are the talking about six different patch groups to cover the different combinations that these products can be installed on systems.

Can you please advise if what I am saying is correct? If so we may need to downgrade to 9.1 again in order to ensure our systems are fully patched

Larry

• 3. Re: Shavlik 9.2 - Issue with patches for Firefox and Adobe appearing for system that do not have these products installed
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Larry,

What you are saying is incorrect Larry, it doesn't work that way.  If yours scans are attempting to install products even after removing all Software Distribution items from the Patch Group then there is a defect in EAR. 

We need a WebEx asap, send an email to charles.winning@shavlik.com and I will set one up.  Please indicate the best time.

Thanks,

Charles