7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 7:56 AM by cwinning

Cancel a running scheduled scan

Rookie

The Shavlik support article "How To Cancel / Delete Scheduled Tasks" (How To: Cancel / Delete Scheduled Tasks) does not provide a method for canceling a scheduled task, only deleting.

How does one cancel a running scheduled scan, that is not using Windows Task scheduler?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Cancel a running scheduled scan
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

You cannot cancel a task that is already running. If the task is a scan, you can manually stop the stPatchAssement.exe on the Protect server which will kill the scan. (it will be listed under the system account so you need to show process for all users to see it)

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Cancel a running scheduled scan
            Rookie

In our sceanrio, we have multiple scheduled tasks; thus more than one STPatchAssement.exe instance. How to tell which one to stop for the non-complete scan?

• 3. Re: Cancel a running scheduled scan
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

In Protect 9.1, if multiple scheduled scans are started, you cannot easily determine which scan to stop.  Please see latest response on this community thread.

Thank you,

Charles

• 4. Re: Cancel a running scheduled scan
                Rookie

Yes, I suspect it may be a common scenario, that multiple scheduled scans exist. So any feature that would help determine a task running, will be beneficial.

• 5. Re: Cancel a running scheduled scan
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

A developer showed me how to cancel scans that are already running in the upcoming Protect 9.2 release (due out mid Oct). This method will help you identify specific scans and stop them.

1. When you schedule a scan, make sure to name the scan with a name unique to the scan.  In my example, I named mine Monday Scan #1

2.  Open the Microsoft Task Scheduler and expand Task Scheduler > Task Scheduler Library > LANDESK > Protect > Scans.

a.  You will see a list of all the pending or running scans.

b.  Highlight the scan and look in the Description for the name of the scan, right-click and choose End:

3.  In case you already have scans setup, you can rename scans that are already setup by navigating to Manage > Scheduled Console Tasks.  Right-click on the tasks and choose to edit it.  This will allow you to change the name under 'Name this Operation' then click Schedule to save the changes.  This change will reflect in the Microsoft Task Scheduler.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Cancel a running scheduled scan
                    Rookie

Thanks, but we are aware of how to cancel Windows scheduled tasks and it is not the question we have asked:

"How does one cancel a running scheduled scan, that is not using Windows Task scheduler?"

Our Shavlik scheduled scans use Shavliks ST.TaskHost.exe with parameters, for example -scantemplateid 1 -patchscanfile "C:\ProgramData\LANDESK\Shavlik Protect\Console\SecurityScans\patchscanfile-XXXXX.patchscanfile" -scanname "MY.SCAN.NAME" -trace

Perhaps you ask your developer that question?

• 7. Re: Cancel a running scheduled scan
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

In Protect 9.1, there is no feature or command-line that will allow you identify a specific scan and cancel it when it is already running. The STPatchAssement.exe process is the only identifier in Protect 9.1 once the job starts and it doesn't contain job information. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you can kill the STPatchAssement.exe to stop scans, but there is no way to identify which scan you are killing.  And yes, the scan is initiated using that command-line syntax, but it has no bearing on the job that is running after the job starts. 

In Protect 9.2, ALL scheduled scans from the console run under the MS Scheduler and my instructions explain the only method to identify and cancel specific scans that are running.  That is why my instructions included the MS Scheduler.

Charles