13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 12:58 PM by cwinning

Custom Product Creation

canalbi Rookie

How exactly do we configure a custom product that would be in HKLM\SOFTWARE\ on 32bit PCs and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node on 64bit PCs in the registry?

• 1. Re: Custom Product Creation
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Creating complex detection for customer products is a bit limited.  You will need to create two products, one with 'Use 64 bit Registry' enabled and another with it disabled.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Custom Product Creation
            canalbi Rookie

I have the new product in the same custom XML as the Bulletin and Patch, and on the Targeting tab for the patch, when I attempt to add that new product, I get these two errors:

The patch 'xxxx' references product ID '12078' that is not defined.

The patch 'xxxx' references service pack ID '12078' that is not defined.

• 3. Re: Custom Product Creation
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Are you running the latest version of Protect?  Protect 9.1 Build 4511.  You can verify this through Help > About. I ask because there have been numerous Custom Patch fixes throughout the versions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Custom Product Creation
                canalbi Rookie

Yes - we are on build 4511

• 5. Re: Custom Product Creation
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Would you be able to zip then attach your custom xml file you are using?  I can load it up and see what's going on?

Otherwise you will need to create a case with support and provide the XML through the case.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Custom Product Creation
                    canalbi Rookie

Here is the XML file

• 7. Re: Custom Product Creation
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thank you for the file!

I loaded your XML and verified the product was added to the targeting:

I saved the custom patch and chose to import it into my database:

No errors on my side..

Where did you see the errors?

Was it when you attempted to save the customer patch?

Thanks,

Charles

• 8. Re: Custom Product Creation
                        canalbi Rookie

Yes its when I am attempting to save or Validate XML. However, based on your screenshots I tried something a bit different.

Under targeting I see "ImageRight 5.7 SP1 Desktop" and "ImageRight 5.7 SP1 Desktop Gold". If I select only the non-Gold option, I don't get the error, if I select both, I get the error.

• 9. Re: Custom Product Creation
                          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thanks for the information.

For the XML file you gave me, I only see ImageRight 5.7 SP1 Desktop the Custom Products section.

Is there another XML file that contains the information for the gold version?

If yes, does that XML contain the same information as this XML (same patch information, this would cause and issue)

If no, was the information removed from this XML file?

From what I can see I can use ImageRight 5.7 SP1 Desktop alone or combined with any other product.  Using ImageRight 5.7 SP1 Desktop Gold alone or with other products fail.

Thanks,

Charles

• 10. Re: Custom Product Creation
                            canalbi Rookie

Thanks Charles - there's only that single XML, but something is going on.

Now our Shavlik Protect Console Service continually crashes. I'll most likely have to open a support ticket now.

• 11. Re: Custom Product Creation
                              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the issue.  For the crash, I would prevent all custom patches from uploading to the database through Manage > Custom Patches and see if it continues to crash. (just in case you have a corrupt custom patch xml)  I think this would be a great time to contact support and request a WebEx where they can take a look firs hand. 

Let me know if you need anything else from my end.

Thanks,

Charles

• 12. Re: Custom Product Creation
                                canalbi Rookie

Service wasn't staying running long enough to make the change at first.

I was able to remove all the "Bad Files" from the Arrivals subfolders and then remove that custom XML from the Custom Patches list.

However, my custom product and patch still appear in View > Patches? How do I remove them from the DB once they're added by a custom xml?

• 13. Re: Custom Product Creation
                                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Did removing the Bad File from the Arrivals folder correct the issue?  Unfortunately, you cannot remove custom patches or products from the database.  This has been a feature request a number of times in the past, but it is not currently in Protect.

Thanks,

Charles