3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 8:50 AM by cwinning

Huge amount of WSUS data despite expired updates and cleanup

Rookie

Although I've expired all but the most recent updates, the WSUS folder UpdateServicesPackages still contains over 33GB of data. I know that after expiring the updates must be removed from WSUS by manually doing a cleanup run, however, the updates themselves are still there.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and, hopefully, found a solution?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Huge amount of WSUS data despite expired updates and cleanup
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I asked around and no one has encountered this issue in their test labs. It looks like the cleanup tools have been working well, but that isn't the case for everyone. I have read that some customers with similar drive space issue use movecontent from wsusutil.exe to move their data to a larger hard drive.  Hopefully you have find something on the internet or someone else can chime in.  It would be interesting to see what you come up with if you do find a solution.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Huge amount of WSUS data despite expired updates and cleanup
            Rookie

Hi Charles,

So ff I understand you correctly, the cleanup option doesn't always work (for everyone)? It would be interesting to know if the expired content has been configured correctly by Shavlik in WSUS or not. But I have no idea how I can check this myself.

Also, I read that the expiration is a very slow process and it can take 30 days so maybe the content will get cleaned-up as I only expired the updates last week.

thanks,

Wanne.

• 3. Re: Huge amount of WSUS data despite expired updates and cleanup
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

From what I read on my searches from google, yes WSUS can sometimes fail to cleanup the folder.  There is nothing in the Shavlik Patch plugin that controls this, all cleanup and sync actions are performed by WSUS.  You may be able to force the cleanup to run faster, maybe a full sync would do the trick?  There may be some guides out there to help you.

Thanks,

Charles