3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 7:34 AM by cwinning

Pushing Shavlik Agents as Part of the Software Distribution

Rookie

Hey all,

I was wondering if it is at all possible that Shavlik Agents could be installed via Shavlik as a patch push?  In essence I have a bunch of agentless machines that I am going to push the agent onto and I know that I would have to set command line parameters to install quietly and to use the proper credentials to install as well as to register the right server and policy for the install, but I'm having a rough time going about it myself.

Also as a side question if anyone happens to know, but wouldn't it make it easier to just include the Shavlik Agent itself as part of the list of Software Distributions in order to allow the software to be pushed by itself with a properly set patch group list and such?  I don't know if this was planned to be implemented but if it is it would make this process much easier.

Thanks in advanced,

Collin Hunter

• 1. Re: Pushing Shavlik Agents as Part of the Software Distribution
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Colin,

Although agents cannot be deployed like a patch, you are able to install the agent from the Protect console. My suggested method is to use Machine Groups with credentials specified in them.  Highlight the machines in the Machine Group, right-click and choose 'Install / Reinstall agent'.  You choose the Agent Policy on the next screen and click install.

Is there a specific reason you need to push the agent out as a patch? Trying to automate agent installs on new machines?  Have you considered pushing agents out via GPO?

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Pushing Shavlik Agents as Part of the Software Distribution
            Rookie

Essentially yes. Just to see if there was a way anything going to be added to the domain could automatically and silently install the agent.  I can do it through the domain controller itself, but I thought I would check to see if it was possible from within Shavlik itself as part of the software distribution to make it automatic.  Now as for the install reinstall agent from within Protect itself; I assume that is silently done? Also you can use this to push it through to an agentless machine?

Thanks for helping me!

• 3. Re: Pushing Shavlik Agents as Part of the Software Distribution
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Colin,

Installing agents as a Software Distribution is impossible at this time, I don't know of any plans on adding this functionality. The agent install from the Protect console is silent and yes you can push this to machines that do not have agents.

The only customers that have automated their agent installs use a GPO that installs the agent using a script.Installing Agents Using A Manual Installation Script

Thanks,

Charles