2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 11:55 AM by cwinning

Patching VMware Templates

C-Wolf Rookie

We are currently beginning deployment of Shavlik 9.1.  I attempted to scan our VMware templates (ESXi 5.5) and was receiving the following error "Error 800 - Unable to retrieve OS info for image (24309)".  Upon further research I found this DOC (Troubleshooting Shavlik Protect Patch Scan Error Messages) that stated "SysPrep: Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) with Generalize checked.  Generalize is not a supported switch and will cause scan failures to offline VM and Templates.".  Does that mean generalized images are not supported?  Wouldn't the vast majority of templates be generalized?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Patching VMware Templates
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Chris,

Yes, a generalized VMware Templates is not supported.  It currently prevents the version of the VMware SDK we use to successfully mount the image to process the scan/deployment.  We are upgrading the VMware SDK in Protect 9.2 and although not tested, it is 'possible' it may work.  I believe one our QA engineers will be testing the sysprep area soon and I will request tests with Generalized enabled.  No ETA, but soon.

I will post an update once I have one.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Patching VMware Templates
            cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

After testing, we can confirm the Generalized option is still not support.  The image mounting fails because the VDDK is unable to determine what the system drive is (because the image is generalized to be hardware independent). We need this information to load the registry files for scanning/deploying. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles